Vadai/vada is a great snack for teatime.We make many types of vada/fritters.Mirchi vada and batata vada is made with besan or chickpea flour and stuffed with potatoes.Sabudana vada is sago based while Dahi vada yogurt based vada.Other important versions are Masala vada and Medu vada.While Medu vada is urad dal based,masala vada is chana dal based.Dal vada or parappu vadai is a crispy chana dal based vada or fritter.It is made with semi-smooth lentil batter.It is crispy and full of proteins.
After all, easy to munch fresh food is much better than chips and commercial biscuits which do not get stale.It tastes great with or without chutney.
You can serve it with tea or coffee for snacks. It is a great recipe for tiffin and kiddie birthday parties.
Best part is it is both vegan and gluten-free snack.
What can I use instead of chana dal?
Masoor or tuvar dal can be used .You can also use them in equal quantities.
Vada recipe has always been a part of Indian travel.
Many vendors choose to sell it as it is very crispy and retains the texture even when cold.You will find it as a common snack at canteens and rail ahaar.
Mixed dal vada recipe has always been in Railway menu.In olden days, railways did not serve fresh hot meals all the day.Neither you could find apps which could bring the food to your berth.
Most people who would travel long distances either brought food along or relied on the vendors.At major stations,you could find a person alighting with these crispy vadai and serving them in bogies.
How to make masala vada?
Read the dal vada recipe below
- 2/3 cup chana dal 1/3 cup soaked+1/3 cup separate/split bengal gram
- 1/3 cup moong dal soaked Split Green gram
- 1 small onion
- 1/4 tsp saunf/fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp rice flour
- Pepper or green chillies as per taste
- Salt as per taste
For frying: Oil
- Soak mung dal along with channa dal.
- Blend it with minimal water until it forms a smooth paste.
- In a bowl,Mix the batter with remaining channa dal.
- Add onion,salt, fennel seeds,rice flour and green chillies.
- On a medium flame,heat oil in a wok.
- Fry the dal vada by taking little amount of batter one by one.
- Repeat until batter is finished.
- Serve hot with dates or mint chutney. You may also serve with tomato sauce.
Click here to see more South Indian recipes.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.