Indian food is full of taste.Be it eggless,vegan or gluten-free.You can get any number of allergies and still have something yummy at breakfast.Anyone who says they cant find anything too eat has not found correct variety of Indian food.People think its only spicy curries.But the list is so huge even within a state.Every house has its special recipe,a special spice mix and special tradition.There is so much variety.Unfortunately,people stop at lassi or samosa or at some meat biryanis.If we continued to research history of Indian food,you would probably find a huge pile of recipes never heard of.No wonder,our civilization survived for centuries. Batata vada or aloo bada is one yummy snack.
What is batata vada?
Most people who know Maharashtra, know Vada pav. Batata vada is the integral part of this snack where aloo bada is served with ladi pav. We usually have it for breakfast. It is a special recipe which has many fans. My dad loves it and so does my son. You can find it all across Mumbai and Maharashtra. Batata meaning potato and vada, a fried lentil donuts. Soft potato filling inside crispy besan or chickpea cover, makes it a double delight. It can be made extra spicy when served with lehsun chutney or garlic chutney powder. Add a pav or bun to it and you have a vada pav ready. Serve it with sambhar and you have a bonda sambar ready. Just serve it as is and it is a heaven for all those who love fried carbs. Trust me I had rather eat this than a boring burger!
Here, we have added sweet potatoes to original all potato recipe. Sweet potato gives it a beautiful color and also makes it less spicy for kids.
Amazed ,how to make ladi pav at home? Click here to see the recipe.
How to make batata vada?
- Mix all ingredients.
- Shape them into balls with your palms.
- Roll them individually in besan/chickpea flour.
- Dip them in besan batter.Repeat for all.
- Heat oil in a wok and fry them until golden brown.Serve with chutney or ketchup.
Batata vada song
Most people have heard of the ketchup song but did you know?There is also a song on this recipe.. Yes it is actually very catchy..It shows a good comparison between the dish and in being in love.
Eat sing and enjoy!
Read the recipe of aloo bonda :
- ½ cup besan or chickpea flour
- Pinch of baking soda
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder
- Water to make chickpea paste
- 1 tbsp rice flour optional
- Salt as per taste
- 1 cup boiled potatoes
- 1 cup boiled sweet potato
- 1 small piece ginger
- 2 green chillies
- Pinch of turmeric
- Few sprigs curry leaves
- Steam or boil the potatoes until soft.They should not be mushy.
- Mash them and add ginger, chillies,curry leaves,salt,red chilli powder,turmeric to create a filling.
- Make small balls out of the mixture and keep it aside.
- Keep aside 2 tbsp besan with salt,roll over the vada
- Add water to wet chickpea flour mix and make a paste out of it.If the paste is too thin, you can add 1 tbsp rice flour or some more chickpea flour.
- Add soda,salt,turmeric powder,red chilli powder.
- Heat oil in a wok.
- Once paste is ready,dip the potato balls in it
- On a medium-high flame, fry until golden brown in hot oil.
- Serve hot with tomato sauce, mint chutney or garlic chutney powder.
Click here to see more starter recipes.
Also,click here to see more recipe videos.