Dosa is the Indian pancake with a batter of fermented rice and lentils.You can make it as a thin wrap or as a thick pancake. Uttapam is the thick pancake version.You can get it in many varieties.Onion,plain,masala,tomato and mixed veg.Basically a dosa but a thicker version.I usually make it with the left over batter of dosa.
How to make the uttapam batter?
Batter is a mix of rice and black split gram soaked overnight.
You may add rice flakes and fenugreek seeds to make it extra crispy.
It is rich in Iron and protein.It is also great for your bones and gut as it is fermented.
This dish has gained popularity all over thanks to Udupi restaurants.
While the west goes with plain flour egg loaded pancake,ours is a vegan gluten-free version.
It is loaded with proteins thanks to the lentils in it.
Pair it with coconut or tomato garlic chutney for yummy results.
Nowadays very popular even in the western world.
Thanks to eateries like Sarvanna Bhavan,Dosa Plaza and Dosa diner.
It is as versatile as your pita bread a wrap.
Mix any veggies to create your own special recipe.Load it with veggies and have it on the go.
Healthy, tasty and unique!
Read the recipe of Uttapam - Mix Veg pancake
Click here to see more South Indian recipes.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.
Uttapam-Mix Veg pancake
- 1 onion small chopped
- 1 capsicum/1 tomato chopped
- 1/4 cup cabbage chopped
- Salt as per taste
- Sprigs of coriander/green onion chopped optional
- Few tablespoons of oil for cooking the pancake
- 1 cup urad dal/black lentils soaked
- 3 cups rice 1.5 cup rice, 1.5 cup idli rice/boiled rice soaked
- Handful of poha /rice flakes
- 2-3 tbsp tuvar dal/ pigeon pea lentils
- 1 tsp methidana/fenugreek seeds
- 2-3 tsp Salt
- Wash and soak 1 cup urad dal in a bowl with 2 cups of water overnight.
- Wash and soak rice and all the other ingredients except salt in 6 cups of water overnight.
- Blend rice mix in a mixer with little water,once its nearly done, add the urad dal without any water.
- You may blend the above in 2 or more batches depending on the capacity of the mixer.
- Mix salt in the batter.
- Keep the batter aside to ferment overnight in a warm place.
- Heat the cast iron tawa for few mins on low heat.
- In a bowl take some amount of batter and add some water to get a thin pouring consistency.You may add salt if required
- Once its medium hot,add a ladle of batter and spread it evenly.
- Add the veggies of your choice.
- Add few drop of oil on the edges and on top.
- Let it cook for few minutes ,until rawness dissapears.Flip it and cook on the other side for few mins.
- Using a spatula,take out the uttapam from the pan.Serve with coconut chutney.
- Before you start with the next uttapam, add few drops of water on the tava, so that the temperature of the tava has come down,else the batter will stick.
You may also use a warm sweater to cover the vessel