Start your day with good health with a great breakfast- Vegetable Rava Idli. Steamed semolina dumpling and shredded veggies make it a perfect breakfast. Healthy and light. This delicacy is very famous along Kanchipuram and the Tamil Nadu coast. Hence it is also called as Kanchipuram Idli.
You will also find its followers from Andhra/Telangana belt to even Karnataka. Be it temples or the udupi cafes, darshinis or adigas, you will never miss idli.
Why humble idli?
The sight of hundreds of soft fluffy 'idli' being served with love across the Southern region is a treat. You can have it at any time of the day. Although, traditionally it is served only for breakfast or Saturday tiffins. It is great when you are recovering from illness or want to eat healthy. Tastes best with sambar or just filter coffee and some coconut chutney. Flavorful, nutritious and fluffy. One of the best tiffin meals available. It is easy to make and perfect while travel or during a picnic.
You can also make vegetable rava idli fry. Add some South Indian tempering to left over idli. Add some mustard seeds, curry leaves, garlic or ginger flakes and a dash of asafoetida.
This helps you finish them if they are left over in the evening.
Vegetable Rava idli
For Rava Idli batter
- 1 cup rava sooji/semolina
- 1 cup curd 3/4 cup curd, mixed with 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup green onions optional
- small piece ginger finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp eno plain or any fruit salt
- salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds or 'Rai'
- Few Curry leaves
- 1 finely chopped Green chilly
- Heat a pan.
- Dry roast semolina on low flame for 5-7 minutes.Keep it aside and let it cool for 15 minutes.
- Add curd and water.Keep it aside for 15 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients except eno.Mix well.
- Heat oil and add the tempering ingredients.
- Add this to the semolina batter.
- The consistency of the rava idli batter should be similar to idli batter.
- It should neither be thick nor thin, so adjust water accordingly.
- Get the idli steamer ready with boiling water.
- Brush the plates with oil.Now add eno to the batter.
- Add the batter mix on the idly plates.
- Steam for 15 minutes.Take it off from the stand.
- Let it cool for 10-15 minutes before serving out idli from the stand.
Click here to read more appetizer recipes.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos from our YouTube channel "secondrecipe".