Start your day with good health with a great breakfast. Vegetable Rava Idli is perfect for weight watchers. Steamed semolina dumpling and shredded veggies make it a perfect breakfast. Healthy and light. This delicacy is very famous along Kanchipuram and the Tamil Nadu coast. Hence, it is also called as Kanchipuram Idli. You will also find its followers from Andhra/Telangana belt to even Karnataka. Be it temples or the udupi cafes, darshinis or adigas, you will never miss idli. Instant rava dosa & idli are excellent breakfast recipes for a light & healthy breakfast.
Why humble idli?
The sight of hundreds of soft fluffy 'idli' being served with love across the Southern region is a treat. You can have it at any time of the day. Although, traditionally it is served only for breakfast or Saturday tiffin. Recipe of suji ki idli does not need soaking. If you do not have time to make idli batter, it works perfectly for breakfast. Only difference - it is not vegan and gluten-free. Both types of idli are equally light and filling.
It is great when you are recovering from illness or want to eat healthy. Tastes best with sambar or just filter coffee and some coconut chutney. Flavorful, nutritious and fluffy. One of the best snacks. It is easy to make and perfect while travel or during a picnic.
You can also make vegetable rava idli fry. Add some South Indian tempering to left over idli. Add some mustard seeds, curry leaves, garlic or ginger flakes and a dash of asafoetida.
This helps you finish them if they are left over in the evening.
Step by step pictures of the vegetable rava instant recipe
1. Dry roast the sooji/semolina in a metal pan.
2. Mix the curd & water with a whisk.
3. Add the curd to the semolina.
4. Heat oil & add tempering ingredients. Let it splutter.
5. Add vegetables & tempering to the semolina mix.
6. Mix all ingredients.
7. Now, add Eno/fruit salt to the mix.
8. Add the batter to greased idli plates. Steam for 15 minutes or until cooked.
Serve hot with chutney.
Tip : Always let idli cool before you remove it from the plate. It comes out smooth. I have also observed if we add a drop of ghee/ butter to grease the plates, texture gets smooth.
Also, if you do not have a special idly cooker. Just get the plates and stand. Use them in a normal deep pot which is wide enough to fit them and has a lid.
Also you can make the plain rava idli recipe for a change without adding any veggies or veggies.You may add some chopped cashews instead if you like. Makes a great recipe.
Vegetable Rava idli
For Rava Idli batter
- 1 cup rava sooji/semolina
- 1 cup curd ¾ cup curd, mixed with ¼ cup water
- ¾ cup grated carrot
- ½ cup green onions optional
- small piece ginger finely chopped
- 2 tsp eno plain or any fruit salt
- salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds or 'Rai'
- Few Curry leaves
- 1 finely chopped Green chilly
- Heat a pan.
- Dry roast semolina on low flame for 5-7 minutes.Keep it aside and let it cool for 15 minutes.
- Add curd and water.Keep it aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil and add the tempering ingredients,Add this to the semolina batter.
- Add the remaining ingredients except eno.Mix well.
- Get the idli steamer ready with boiling water.
- Brush the plates with oil.Now add eno to the batter.
- The consistency of the rava idli batter should neither be thick nor thin, so adjust water accordingly.
- Add the batter mix on the idly plates.
- Steam for 15-20 minutes or until cooked,turn off the heat
- Let it cool for 10-15 minutes before serving out idli from the stand.
Looking for more South Indian recipes? Try the links below for some yummy treats for breakfast
Click here to read more snack recipes.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.