Start your day with good health with a great breakfast. Vegetable Rava Idli is perfect for weight watchers. Steamed semolina dumpling and shredded veggies make it a perfect breakfast. Healthy and light. This delicacy is very famous along Kanchipuram and the Tamil Nadu coast. Hence, it is also called as Kanchipuram Idli. You will also find its followers from Andhra/Telangana belt to even Karnataka. Be it temples or the udupi cafes, darshinis or adigas, you will never miss it. Instant rava dosa & idli are excellent breakfast recipes for a light & healthy breakfast.
Why humble idli?
The sight of hundreds of soft fluffy 'idli' being served with love across the Southern region is a treat. You can have it at any time of the day. Although, traditionally it is served only for breakfast or Saturday tiffin. Recipe of suji ki idli does not need soaking. If you do not have time to make batter, this recipe works perfectly for breakfast. Only difference - it is not vegan and gluten-free. Although both are equally light and filling.
It is great when you are recovering from illness or want to eat healthy. Tastes best with sambar or just filter coffee and some coconut chutney. Flavorful, nutritious and fluffy. One of the best snacks. It is easy to make and perfect while travel or during a picnic.
You can also make vegetable rava idli fry. Add some South Indian tempering to left over idlis. Add some mustard seeds, curry leaves, garlic or ginger flakes and a dash of asafoetida.
This helps you finish them if they are left over in the evening.
For veg rava idli batter
- Rava sooji / semolina
- Green onions optional
- Eno plain or any fruit salt
- Salt as per taste
- Cashews for garnish
- Mustard seeds
- Curry leaves
- Green chilli
- Idli stand
- In a pan, heat oil. Temper curry leaves, mustard seeds, green chilli with urad dal.
2. Add grated carrots and green onions with pinch of salt. Cook until its soft.
3. Add semolina or sooji rava. Mix well and cook on low heat.
4. Remove it from pan. Add yogurt to bowl and stir.
5. Add Eno or fruit salt to the batter and mix well. Do not wait for long after Eno has been added, else it will lose its fluffy texture.
6. Grease the plates with butter or ghee. Pour the batter in the plates and garnish with cashews.
7. Steam for 12-15 minutes. Let it cool before you spoon them out for a smooth finish.
8. Serve rava idli hot with chutney.
Always let idli cool before you remove it from the plate. It comes out smooth. I have also observed if we add a drop of ghee/ butter to grease the plates, texture gets smooth.
Also, if you do not have a special idly cooker. Just get the plates and stand. Use them in a normal deep pot which is wide enough to fit them and has a lid.
Also you can make the plain idli recipe for a change without adding any veggies or veggies. You may add some chopped cashews instead if you like. Makes a great recipe.
Vegetable Rava idli recipe
- Idli stand
- frying pan
For the batter
- 1 cup rava sooji/semolina
- 1 cup curd ¾ cup curd, mixed with ¼ cup water
- ½ cup grated carrot
- ¼ cup green onions optional
- small piece ginger finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon eno plain or any fruit salt
- salt as per taste
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds or 'Rai'
- Few curry leaves
- 1 finely chopped Green chilly
- 1 tbsp. urad dal soaked in water and drained
- Heat oil in a pan and add the tempering ingredients and let it splutter.
- Add the vegetables to the tempering mix. Cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add semolina and cook on low flame for 5-7 minutes. Mix well with a spoon or spatula. Keep it aside and let it cool for 15 minutes.
- Add curd and water.Keep it aside for 15 minutes.
- Get the idli steamer ready with boiling water.
- Brush the plates with oil/butter.Now add eno to the batter.
- The consistency of the batter should neither be thick nor thin, so adjust water accordingly.
- Add the batter on the idly plates.
- Steam for 12-15 minutes or until cooked.Turn off the heat.
- Let it cool for 10-15 minutes before serving out idli from the stand.
Idli is gluten free while rava idli is made with semolina hence it is not gluten free. Also, idli needs 4-8 hours to ferment after grinding the batter. Rava idli in comparison takes lesser time to make.
During world war 2, there was a shortage of rice. Hence MTR created rava idli.
Coarsely ground wheat.
Looking for more South Indian recipes?
Try the links below for some yummy treats for breakfast.
V. nutritious and easy to make recipe for the breakfast
Sasank Sekhar Nayak says