Our recent trip to Ikea on Saturday, didn't disappoint us. Not only did we buy good furniture, but we also got a great idea for dinner. Ikea veggie dog was something we enjoyed thoroughly along with its plant based meat balls. Kudos to Ikea for putting up vegan and plant based recipes. We were really inspired to recreate this Ikea veggie dog recipe, at home as going there is not possible all the time. Here is our take on ikea vegan hot dog we ate.
This meatless hot dogs recipe is pretty simple to make. You can steam whatever veggies are left over in a refrigerator. Just steam, shape & sauté them. Put them amidst dog buns and serve it with a spicy sauce. Another great recipe is carrot dogs but that is for another day. Learn how to make veggie hot dogs in simple steps below.
- grill pan
- lentil flour
- whole wheat flour / oat flour
- soup stock powder
- baking powder
- salt as per taste
Refer to recipe card for details.
How to cook veggie dogs?
- Heat oil in a pan and cook onions along with some salt for few minutes. You can remove some and keep it for assembling the veggie dog later.
2. Add grated carrots and mix well. Cook for 2-3 mins.
3. Add chopped kale to the pan along with cumin powder and mix well.
4. Let it cook until kale withers.Turn off the heat. Allow it to cool.
5. Add oat flour and lentil flour along with stock powder and baking powder. Mix well .
6. Add the mix it to a blender / food processor.
7. Pulse it until it gets a mince like texture.
8. Shape it as sausages using a baking sheet or parchment paper.
9. Steam the vegan hot dogs for 15-20 mins. I use Ninja op 300 steamer function but you can use any steamer you have.
10.Once they are steamed, they are pretty much ready to eat. I did not find any need to further roast them. I did try to roast a few and they turned a bit hard as well.
11. Heat hot dog rolls or bread of your choice in a hot grill pan with a spoonful of oil or butter. Let it cook for couple of minutes and slit in between to assemble.
- Assemble the veggie dog between the hot dog rolls or buns and top it up with tomato ketchup , mustard sauce and optionally with smashed avocado with onions.
- You can make a vegetarian hot dog recipe, instead of vegan one if you want to serve dairy based cheese slices in the hot dog. Use a vegan cheese slice instead of dairy based, for easy vegan recipe.
- Use spinach instead of kale if you do not have it. If you do not have lentil flour at home, you may use besan or chickpea flour to make this veggie hot dog recipe. You can also make carrot dogs if you are in a hurry. If you are in a hurry, you can always use Ikea veggie dogs instead of making them from scratch.
- You can steam veggie hot dog and store it in an air tight container. Saute fresh and make a fresh veggie dog anytime you want to eat.
veggie dog | vegan hot dog recipe
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 cup carrots grated
- 1.5 cup kale /spinach chopped
- 1 cup oat flour
- ½ cup lentil flour red lentil flour or chickpea flour.
- 1 tsp. vegetable stock powder
- 2 tbsp. oil
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- salt as per taste
- Tomato ketchup
- Mustard sauce
- 1 avocado peeled, deseeded and mashed
- 1 medium onion
- Heat oil in a pan and cook onions along with some salt for few minutes.
- Add grated carrots and mix well. Cook for 2-3 mins.
- Add chopped kale to the pan and mix well.
- Let it cook until kale withers, turn off the heat,let it cool for few minutes.
- Add oats flour and lentil flour along with stock powder & baking powder. Mix well
- Let it cool and add it to a blender or any food processor.
- Pulse it until it gets a mince like texture.
- Shape it as sausages using a baking sheet or parchment paper.
- Steam the vegan hot dogs for 15-20 mins. I use Ninja op 300 steamer function but you can use any steamer you have. You can make multiple batches and freeze it for future usage. This will help you save time on a busy weeknights.
- Heat tiger rolls or bread of your choice in a hot grill pan with a spoonful of oil . Let it cook for couple of minutes and slit in between to assemble.
- Assemble the veggie dog between the tiger rolls or buns and add the choice of ketcup with smashed avocado and onions
Yes, no processed meat , lesser calories and lesser saturated fat.
It is full of processed meat and 80% of it has saturated fats. This increases risk of colon cancer and heart attacks especially when eaten regularly. Homemade vegetarian hot dogs recipe on other hand is better.
Why stream? Can it be air fried or baked in the oven?
bhavana bhatia says
hi Kim, the reason we have steamed these is to cook them (with the lentil flour that was added). You can also air fry them/bake them ,for that keep them in the fridge/freezer for couple of hours, it will help to retain their shape.