Tomato pachadi is a tangy chutney which makes any meal awesome.Andhra tomato pickle or tomato thokku is a great way to spice up things.Be it a simple khichdi or dal rice.
It is fairly simple to make.Best way to use left over tomatoes too.Tamati pachadi is one for keeps always.Tastes great.Make tomato chutney for dosa, idli if you are bored of coconut chutney.
If you are in a rush, you can also use a can of tomatoes.
This recipe is from my favorite aunt & sis.Traditional chutney from our manamma's kitchen.
Chutney dips in the Indian kitchen
Condiments and dips in each region of India serves the purpose of easy meals and are particularly useful during train and bus travel.For example,paratha and achar in North India.Idli chutney in south India,Dhokla and hari chutney in western region.
Chutney dips are easy to make.They are also a part of bhog or prasadam in eastern India and an important part in wedding dinners.
There is a variety of tomato dips in many regional cuisines.For example,Odia khatta in Odisha.Served with Kanika rice in the east.Tamata ni chutney served with methi thepla in Gujarat in the west.
Many varieties of tomato chutney in south India too.Some made with sun-dried tomatoes others with yogurt.
Sometimes even this chutney and plain rice is a great meal,especially,if you want something fast.You can also have tomato pachadi with paratha or roti.
Simple home cooked meal is much more flavorful and tastier.It is always better to have home cooked meals.Much better than having fast food outside.
You can always prepare them and store it in a clean jar in refrigerator.
Note: Only use a clean dry spoon to serve the pickle and chutneys as moisture spoils them.Store it in refrigerator once made.It stays longer than a week when stored.
Step by Step pictures of the recipe
1.Heat mustard,fenugreek in a pan,powder them keep aside
2.Heat mustard oil,add tomatoes and cook until oil oozes out.
3.Add tamarind paste,spices and cook.
4.Heat oil in pan,add tempering ingredients
5.Mix with Tomato chutney and add mustard/fenugreek powder.
6. Store in a clean dry jar.
Read the recipe of Tomato chutney
Tomato Pachadi-Tomato Pickle
- Diced tomatoes 2 can of 400 gms each or 1 kg fresh tomatoes
- ¼ cup mustard oil for fresh tomatoes use ⅓ cup oil
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 tbsp turmeric/haldi
- 2 tbsp red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp tamarind paste/imli
- 1 tbsp fenugreek powder/methidana
- 1 tbsp rai/mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp split chickpeas/chana dal
- 1 tsp mustard seeds/rai
- Handful of curry leaves
- 1-2 dried red chillies/sookha lal mirch
- Dry roast mustard,fenugreek in a pan,powder them keep aside
- Heat mustard oil,add tomatoes and cook until oil oozes out.
- Add tamarind paste,spices and cook for few minutes.(for fresh tomatoes, add ½ cup water and cook)
- Heat oil in separate pan,add tempering ingredients.
- Mix with tomato pickle and add mustard/fenugreek powder.
- Keep it in a clean jar in the refrigerator.This has a shelf life of 2 weeks.
What can you serve with tomato chutney?
Click here to see more video recipes.
Also, click here to see more chutney recipes.