Orange marmalade is a wonderful use of oranges.We have used navel oranges here.However, you can make this with any citrus fruit.Jams and preserves are a great use of fruit.
Great produce always brings wonderful joy.Be it of your garden or from the market.
There is something great and plentiful about citrus always. Kinds of pep you up. Pure JOY!
This spread goes great with some bread and butter.Most people either love orange jam or they don't.I fell in love with it during vacations.
Marmalade & my childhood nostalgia
This jam has some wonderful childhood memories attached to it.We were adored by our grandparents.Those days were the best time of my life each year.Most of our mornings were had constant companion.Cans of marmalade and fruit preserves.Strawberry and Orange.
Perfect with fresh bread from the bakery and kettle of morning tea.
I do not remember how many cups we would have.
I guess it continued till all the kids of this huge family were awake.We just kept having them,each time someone got up.
This marmalade brings me back to simpler times when life was pure fun.
Step by step orange marmalade
Read the recipe of orange marmalade below
- 1.5 kg navel oranges or Valencia oranges
- 8 cups of water
- 50 gms grated ginger
- 3-4 cups sugar
- spice potli 3-4 bay leaves,3-4 black cardamoms,5-6 cloves,2-3 cinnamon sticks in a clean cotton cloth packet, tied up
- Wash and scrub the oranges.
- Slice the oranges using a slicer or knife to get even slices .Remove any seeds.
- Tie the seeds in a clean cloth and keep it aside.
- In a bowl of water,place orange slices ,seeds and cover it with plastic wrap to stand overnight.(this will allow to release the pectin)
- Remove the seed packet and transfer the mixture to a large saucepan and add ginger and spices to it.
- Boil this over medium heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1-1.5 hours or until it reduces by about one-third.Let it cool.
- In a pan, start heating the sugar, until it starts warming up,Add this sugar to the orange mixture.
- Increase the heat to medium-high once sugar dissolves and bring the mixture to boil.
- Remove impurities from the top(if any)
- Cook for 30 minutes on low heat until you get a dense consistency of marmalade.
- Now, remove the whole spices packet and transfer the marmalade to clean and dry jar.
- Note: The marmalade can be stored for few month in the refrigerator.Use only clean and dry spoons .
Click here to see more such recipes.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.