Khichdi is a comfort meal for many. Dal khichdi is a simple one pot meal which helps many recovering from illness. It is naturally gluten-free and can be made vegan too. You can make rice khichdi in a pressure cooker, instant pot and even a deep pan. Usually we make it with moong dal and rice as it is easier to digest. It is also a great meal to have when you want something simple. You can also make it with toor dal khichdi recipe, masoor dal khichdi or just green moong dal khichdi if you do not have yellow mung dal at home.
Weekdays can be hectic and you need something simple to just finish your lunch/ dinner. Sometimes you are just hard-pressed for time. However, you can still avoid that takeaway. How? Answer is right here: Brown rice dal khichdi. Scroll below to find out.
I love making khichdi with brown rice when I am in absolutely no mood to cook.Masala khichdi or pulao always comes handy. Make your khichuri better by replacing white rice with brown. Brown rice dal khichdi makes things healthier and guilt-free. Yes, there are many who want to avoid white rice ,bread and pasta. I even use it to make chakoli. Only thing with this is extra time is needed to cook it. Save that time by pressure cooking it or making an instant pot khichdi recipe by adding same ingredients but in an instant pot instead of normal cooker, deep pan or casserole.
Read the recipe below to find out how you can make this yummy dish
- pressure cooker
- brown rice
- mixed dal chilka moong, tuvar and masur in equal quantities.
- tomatoes medium
- capsicum chopped
- carrot chopped
- cumin seeds/ jeera
- ginger chopped
- green chilly chopped ( increase to 2 as per your taste)
- salt as per taste
Soak the mixed lentils and brown rice for 15-20 mins after washing them. Alternatively you may soak them in hot water for 10 mins if in a rush. Meanwhile, chop the below veggies.
- Heat oil or ghee in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds and let it splutter. Now add the chopped green chilly and ginger.
2. Add chopped tomatoes along with some salt. Mix well and cook until they soften.
3. Add turmeric, red chilly powder.
4. Now add the chopped carrots, capsicums and peas. Mix well.
5. Add the soaked dal-rice mix to the vegetables.
6. Add 3 cups of water to the dal rice mixture. Pressure cook for 2-3 whistles.
Recipes for dal khichdi are many. You can make a masala khichdi recipe with basic spices like cumin powder, garam masala powder and coriander powder. Make dal khichdi with tadka recipe by adding tempering of cumin seeds, mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds to your split moong dal khichdi or vegetable khichdi recipe . Other recipes are making the recipe with a single lentil instead of mixed lentils. For example, khichdi with moong dal, khichdi with toor dal only, urad dal khichdi, chana dal khichdi.
For the vegetarian option: Add a dollop of ghee or butter on top of the khichadi on the plate. It tastes divine. Just pair it with some yogurt raita while serving. You can also serve fried onions and fried cashews on top.
Other variations are quinoa khichdi recipe, daliya khichdi recipe, oats khichdi recipe using quinoa, broken wheat or daliya and oats instead of making khichdi with rice.
Brown rice dal khichdi recipe
- pressure cooker
- ½ cup brown rice
- ½ cup mixed dal chilka moong, tuvar and masur in equal quantities.
- 2 tomatoes medium
- ¼ cup capsicum chopped
- ¼ cup peas
- 1 carrot chopped
- 3 cups water
- 1 tbsp. oil/ghee
- ½ tbsp. cumin seeds/ jeera
- 1 tsp. ginger chopped
- 1 green chilly chopped ( increase to 2 as per your taste)
- Salt as per taste
- Heat oil or ghee in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds and let it splutter. Now, add the chopped green chilly and ginger.
- Add chopped tomatoes along with some salt. Mix well and cook until they soften.
- Add turmeric, red chilly powder.
- Now add the chopped carrots, capsicums and peas. Mix well.
- Add the soaked dal-rice to the vegetables.
- Add 3 cups water to the dal rice mixture. Pressure cook for 2-3 whistles.
- Serve hot with papad and pickle. You may also serve it with yogurt or boondi raita if not vegan.
Another great gluten-free recipe is Sago pilaf or sabudana khichdi.You can also make it from millets, like bajre ki khichdi. Other popular ones are Bengali khichuri served in Pooja pandals,simple Gujarati khichdi recipe, Makai ni khichdi and Fada ni khichdi.
It helps detox the system and improve immunity. Very important meal when you are recovering.
It comes from a Sanskrit word khiccha and is one of the first meals of a baby.
Yes as it has carbohydrates, proteins ,fiber and vitamins.It can be considered as a superfood.