Daddojanam -It is a delicacy which brings me back to the temples of Andhra Pradesh. Simple meal of pulihora(tamarind rice), daddojanam (curd rice) and chakkara pongal(sweet pongal made with sugar or jaggery) and laddoo post pooja or havan served post naivedyam. Simple yet the most tastiest. If you love raisins and cashews, add some too. Throw in some pomegranate seeds/fresh anaar for some color and crunch. Temper some red hot chillies for that ocassional heat in between. Also, a fond memory of food at my bestie's place, simple treat to beat the heat.
Daddojanam and train journey nostalgia
Daddojanam is a common preparation in Andhra, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka especially during summers. When we would travel long journeys in trains from Vizag to north, taking >24 hrs you could see people eating fresh curd rice next day. They would add curd rice and milk before leaving in a tiffin previous night. Next day curd would set in the tiffin and it would taste fresh. Simple preparation yet easy to eat during travel. Back then, trains did not have good fresh food on stations and also AC bogies. This would help you beat infections as well as keep your stomach cool.
You can also use the left over rice with curd. I love making curd rice Andhra style and serving it for brunch.
Gluten-free and an easy meal when you are hard pressed for time during deadlines.
Can curd rice be eaten at night?
According to Ayurveda, it can lead to mucus formation. Hence, many people avoid eating curd at night.
Is curd rice good for health?
Yes .Good for gastritis, helps avoid constipation. Lowers BP and helps your skin glow.
Read the recipe of daddojanam
Daddojanam|Thayir sadam-Curd rice
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup yogurt curd +buttermilk/water
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup cashews
- ¼ cup raisins
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Pinch of heeng or asafoetida avoid if gluten-free
- 1 tbsp channa dal
- 1 tbsp urad dal
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 green chillies not used during temple naivedyam. Pepper is used
- 2 dried red chillies
- Cook rice with 1:1.5 cup water ratio.Keep it aside to cool.
- Add yogurt with some water/boiled milk along with salt.
- Add pomegranate seeds.
- In a pan heat oil,add mustard and cumin seeds. Let it splutter
- Add curry leaves,lentils chillies and pinch of asafoetida.
- Add cashews and mix well.
- Add red chilli powder/pepper powder.
- Remove from flame and add raisins. Raisins tend to bloat and burst so be careful.
- Mix tempering with yogurt rice.
- Refrigerate until cool and serve for lunch/dinner.
Looking for more pickles to go with curd rice?
- Mango garlic pickle
- Allam avakaya- mango ginger pickle
- Traditional mango pickle
- Instant Tomato pickle/tomato pachadi
- Sweet lemon pickle
Click here for additional rice recipes
Click here to watch additional recipe videos.