There is something about South Indian Pickles. Spicy Andhra pickles and Telangana chutneys are a treat. No one can resist it! Combine it with cold curd rice, Heaven!
If you like it vegan, eat it with some lemon rice or tomato rice. Mango pickles are so versatile. You can make it with ginger or garlic as main flavor. Both mango ginger and mango-garlic is amazing. Grate it and make a sweet chundo, Gujarati style, with jaggery. Make a traditional cut mango pickle or make one Sindhi style with chickpeas. If you like a sweet chutney style,make your own launji.
How to make mango ginger pickle?
See the below steps to make allam avakaya pickle.
- Roast mustard seeds,fenugreek and red chillies in a pan and grind them once cooled.(The mustard seed mix needs to be grinded just before adding to the pickle, if you have grinded the mix in advance, keep it in an air tight jar)
2.Grate the mango and ginger, mix with salt.
3.Cover it and keep it in the Sun for 4-5 hours
4. The mix will change its color a bit,Add all the dry remaining ingredients.
Read the Recipe below
Allam avakaya - mango ginger pickle
- ¼ cup ginger
- 1 cup sour raw mango
- ½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 2 dried red chilli
- 1 tablespoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon asafoetida
- 3 teaspoon salt or as per taste
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup oil mustard or vegetable oil
- Peel ginger and fine chop in food processor or grate it manually.Repeat the same with mango.
- Dry them in a bowl along with some salt ,for 4-5 hours in hot sun.
- Roast mustard seeds,fenugreek and red chillies in a pan and grind them once cooled.
- Now mix all the dry ingredients.
- Oil the jar with 2 tablespoon mustard oil.
- Add the oil to the dry mixture along with apple cider vinegar.
- Mix well and leave it in sun for 1 month.Mix every 10 days with a clean dry spoon.
My earliest pickle memories
You can never understand the magic of simple ingredients until you taste it. One will wonder how it can actually make a meal. But it does. I have seen so many people relish thokku with curd rice during train journeys. Long travel would make food stale. So people would add curd to fresh milk and cooked rice before boarding. Curd would set in a few hours. This would mean fresh meal in the night without looking for it at a station.
Pachadi or chutney can be made with many veggies even okra,brinjal and ridge gourd. These are eaten with rice.While the most common ones are tomato pachdi, coconut chutney, allam avakaya or ginger pachdi. These are eaten with idli,dosa ,pesarattu, uttapam and upma.Simple yet tasty ideas.
Summer is all about pickling. Enjoy it while the sun lasts. Pickling at home makes it preservative free too.
Happy and healthy tummy! Yummy!!
It still amazes me how something so sour like raw mango turns into so sweet with time. I guess we can all learn from nature. How patience can make something so sour sweet.
Time we look into us and become sweeter than we are at present!
Click here to see more pickle recipes.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.