Aam aur chane ka achaar or mango chickpea pickle is yummy! Totally delish!
It may sound a strange but is a wonderful tangy pickle. You can find this in traditional Sindhi households. It requires minimal effort and is as tangy as a pickle can be. Mango chana pickle will definitely surprise you. Great way to use surplus raw mangoes and kabuli chana too.
Pickling -Hobby ideas
Pickling is a great hobby.You can even involve kids in it.Just ensure the cooking in cooked pickle and red chilli is handled by you.There are many raw pickles that kids can help in.In India,pickling and papad is made in many gruh-udyogs or small cottage industries.Earlier there was no TV,hence all these ideas flourished.Women would pickle once lunch was done and leave it in the courtyard for weeks together.Of course,some men do it too(atleast in my family they enjoy cooking.).There is nothing like homemade pickles.It also ensures you enjoy the summer heat. Most people think it is difficult to make one. However,it is easy.
You only need to ensure it is stored in a clean dry jar.Also,the hands need to be dry while you take them out. Moisture can spoil it easily. This is an easy pickle.You will love making it time and again once u give it a go. This pickle is a good make when we have less mangoes. I like the meaty flavor of soaked chickpeas. Also, you can adjust the heat of pickle when you make it at home.
Chickpeas are usually used in curries but this is a unique way to use them. Chole or kabuli chana is also a powerhouse of protein. They are so versatile and also gluten-free. Make a hummus dip, salad curry, snack and even a pilaf.
Step by step pictures of the recipe
1.Grate mango and keep it in a steel/glass bowl
2.Wash/clean chickpeas,let it dry for some time, add to grated mango
3.Add salt to chickpeas and mango
4.Cover it and keep it aside
5.After a few hours,add spices
6.Add mustard oil & vinegar ,keep it in an airtight jar in sunlight.
Read the mango chickpea pickle recipe below:
Mango chickpea pickle
- 3 cups keri or raw mango grated
- 1 cup chole or chickpeas
- 3 tbsp namak/salt
- 2 tbsp methi dana/fenugreek seeds coarsely ground
- 2 tbsp saunf/fennel seeds
- 1 tsp kalonji/nigella seeds
- 1/8 th cup lal mirch/red chilly powder
- 1 tsp haldi/turmeric powder
- 1-1/4 cup oil mustard oil
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- Peel the mangoes, grate them.
- Wash the chickpeas and keep it aside to dry
- Mix the chickpeas,grated mango and Salt.
- Cover it and keep it aside for 6-8 hours in sun.
- This will help release water from the grated mangoes , that will be absorbed by the chickpeas.
- Mix all spices along with fennel, fenugreek seeds with oil,vinegar and mango-chickpea mixture.
- Dry the glass bottle to ensure any moisture evaporates by holding it for few seconds over gas.Ensure it is not very close to the flame. Let it cool.
- Transfer to an oiled clean jar.Cover the jar.
- Stir the contents at intervals of 5-6 days with a clean dry spoon,for a period of 1 month.
- Store this in a cool dry place.
Click here to see more pickle recipes.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.