homemade hash browns is an easy breakfast recipe. I like to cook hash browns in air fryer from scratch. However, if you love frozen foods and do not have time to boil and shred the potatoes using a box grater. You can use the packet of frozen shredded hashbrown potatoes. Many brands like Ore ida & Mccain's sell these. These packet has cooked potato shreds that are prefect for hashbrown which are frozen later. Air fryer hash browns are better than fried hashbrown patties you eat outside, as they are not so oily. Yes, they retain the same crunch minus the guilt of fried food. Air fryer hash browns recipe are a quick breakfast if you have them frozen already.
We've got all the potato dishes you could ever want - vegan hassel back potatoes , mashed potato cakes, and homemade tater tots. Other notable air fryer potato recipes are air fried jacket potatoes, crinkle chips, baby potatoes in air fryer, accordion potatoes air fryer, vegan hashbrowns in air fryer, diced potatoes in air fryer, air fryer carrots and potatoes, air fryer home fries & Shoestring fries in air fryer
Most frozen potato patty, French fries, wedges and hash browns already have been cooked in oil before they are frozen. Hence, you cannot control the fat content in the potato cake. You can do so only when you make it at home. Learn to make this easy recipe in simple steps.
Why air fryer hashbrowns?
We all love potatoes. Be it old or young, kid or adults every one has a weakness for spuds. Hash browns come closest to aloo tikki you get in India. It usually has 4 main ingredients potatoes, maize flour, canola oil and salt. Hash browns are great as a filler in sandwiches or burgers too. Sometimes they may be the only vegetarian/ vegan dish you may get at a restaurant chain abroad in remote areas.
- frozen shredded potatoes (I used Ore ida shredded potatoes)
- salt & crushed black pepper (optional)
- vegetable oil / olive oil spray
Refer to recipe card for quantities.
- Air fryer (we use the ninja foodi op300 air fryer)
- Pastry brush
- Cookie cutter
- Take small muffin cups, brush/spray with cooking oil.
- Spread the shredded hashbrown mix in an even layer, spray with little oil.
- In a preheated air fryer(5 mins at 190 deg C/375 deg F) place these ramekins in a single layer in an air fryer tray or air fryer basket to cook for 10 minutes at 190 degrees C/375 degrees F).
- Brush/spray oil and continue to cook for 10 more minutes at 190C/375F
- Use a knife run through the edges and take the patties out of the ramekins, you may flip them oven and brush with oil and cook for further 3-4 minutes at 190C/375F so that they are crispy and golden from the other side.
- Serve these warm
If you like your meal spicy, you may coat them in peri peri. You can also brush any spice mix + 1tbsp oil to give it a new flavor like Moroccan, Sriracha or Cajun. Other spices you can use are garlic powder, onion powder & chili powder. You may add cayenne pepper and black pepper are also great options according to your taste.
You can also make cheesy hashbrowns by adding a layer of shredded mozzarella cheese over these extra crispy hash browns. Use a cheese grater to grate any cheese you like like cheddar. Air fry for 2-3 minutes more so that cheese melts and goes gooey.
Serving suggestion: cooked hash browns can also be served at a quick aloo tikki chaat. Serve it Indian style with some spicy mint and sweet tamarind & date chutney. You can add a spicy chickpea curry if vegan and top it with some beaten yogurt if vegetarian.
Always eat it fresh. If you have something left over. Freeze or refrigerate it in an air tight plastic box. Air fry it before you serve.
I must say hashbrowns in Ninja foodi actually give a good competition to restaurant ones. They are golden and crunchy and have a soft interior. Keeping frozen ones at homes always help when you are too tired to cook.
Always keep your chimney on when using air fryer so that any fumes emitted are removed from the kitchen.
If you want to cook in an iron skillet,cook it over medium heat flipping every 3-4 mins until they are golden brown.
You can use a mixture of butter and oil or butter if you are not a vegan.Olive oil is also great for cooking hash browns.
Ore ida shredded hash brown in air fryer
- pastry brush
- cookie cutter
- 3 cup frozen shredded hash browns I have used Ore ida shredded hash potatoes
- 2 tbsp. oil
- salt and pepper as per taste
- Take small muffin cups, brush/spray with oilAdd the frozen shredded hashbrown, spray with oil.
- In a preheated air fryer(5 mins at 190C/375F) place these to cook for 10 minutes at 190C/375F)Brush/spray oil and continue to cook for 10 more minutes at 190C/375F.
- Use a knife run through the edges and take the patties out of the ramekins, You may flip them oven and brush with oil and cook for further 3-4 minutes at 190C/375F so that they are crispy and golden from the other side.Serve these warm
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
Conclusion: crispy air fryer hash browns are one of the best air fryer breakfast recipes. How do you like your delicious hash browns, do let us know?