Aloo tikki or potato patties is a fabulous snack.One of the easiest and yummiest of recipes. While the potato cakes or croquettes of the west use egg wash or egg whites. Indian version has bread crumbs or corn flour in it for crisp texture. You can also make a gluten-free aloo tikki chaat at home by using quinoa instead of bread crumbs.
Benefits of potato:
Potatoes are very good for health unlike the the common notion that they make you fat. If you cook them with low oil,they are actually very good for health.
- Potatoes are an excellent source of Vitamin C,potassium, B-complex.
- They contain anti-oxidants and are naturally gluten-free.
- Potatoes prevent bone health and helps maintain blood pressure.
- Potatoes also contain folate and also helps prevent cancer.
Versatile potato recipes:
You can make potato in many ways. Be it chips or soup.Curry or samosa. Be it the spicy aloo bonda or the mirchi bada. Potato makes everything special. Whether it is an appetizer or a main course, dessert or salad. Potato appeals in every way. It is also allowed during the fasting period during Navratri and Sawan. Make an easy curry if you like
Step by step pictures of the recipe
1.Mix all ingredients.
2.Mould them in desired shapes.
3.Start cooking them in an iron pan with oil/ghee.
4. Cook on low flame, flip it slowly. Cook on both sides.
Read the aloo tikki recipe below:
Aloo tikki- potato patties
- 3-4 large potatoes peeled
- 1 sweet potato peeled
- ¼ cup mint leaves chopped
- ½ cup bread crumbs or 2 slices of bread
- 1 tbsp dried mango powder or amchur
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 1 piece ginger finely chopped
- Salt as per taste
- Oil/ghee for frying
- If using bread slices, mix bread,mint in a food processor with spices
- Mash the potatoes ,sweet potato and mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Shape them into round patties and keep into the refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
- Heat oil/ghee in a pan,start cooking the patties in a batch of 2-3 patties.
- Cook on low/medium flame until light brown on both sides.
- Serve hot with mint chutney
Looking for more tikki recipes?
- Buckwheat cutlet/kuttu ki tikki
- Raw banana cutlet
- Air-fried Beetroot cutlet
- chickpea tikki or aani/served with curry
Click here to see more snack recipes.
Also,click here to see more recipe videos.