Can you ever get over fries? Fish and chips may not be for everyone but chip and dip definitely is. We all need our carbs and sometimes you should give in, even when you are working out! Air fryer shoe string fries are one of the best recipes you can make in an air fryer. Crunch and munch and find your mojo!
Potatoes are definitely a blessing for everyone! Ask a mum with a cranky toddler in tow. Small tummies and huge hunger pangs. Small asks and big tantrums. Obviously, you cannot give them junk food always.
We've got all the potato dishes you could ever want - vegan hasselback potatoes , mashed potato cakes, and homemade tater tots. Other notable air fryer potato recipes are air fried jacket potatoes,baby potatoes in air fryer, accordion potatoes air fryer, vegan hashbrowns in airfryer, diced potatoes in air fryer, air fryer carrots and potatoes & air fryer home fries .
I love the humble potato. It grows in abundance. You get them cheap and they last a real long time even without refrigeration. Making it perfect for nice appetisers everywhere in world. Whether it is the samosas or veg cutlets. Curly fries or crinkle cuts. Nothing better than those hasselback potatoes or accordion when you are in a mood to serve something fancy. Air fryer Christmas potatoes definitely rule the roost during Holiday season.
- salt and spices as per taste.
See recipe card for quantities.
What kind of potatoes are used for shoestring fries?
Choosing the correct variety of potato is the most important step in this recipe.The varieties that work well include the following.
- Russet potatoes
- Yukon Gold potatoes
- Kind Edward
- Royal Dutch cream
- Royal blue / Purple
Depending on where you live, you will find one variety or other.) I have tried with Russet, King Edward, Dutch cream, Royal blue and all of them were good .The best result was with Russet and Kind Edward potatoes.
If you do not want to go through the hassle, then a simpler option is to get the frozen fries and cook them in the air fryer. Refer to our recipe here.
- Slice the potatoes as thin as possible using a knife and chopping board. You can also use a mandolin slicer
2. Soak it in a bowl of cold water for 2-3 hours. You can also leave them overnight. This helps reduce the starch and results in crisp chips.
Hint: Always preheat your air fryer.
3. Drain the excess water using a sieve.
4.Toss the fries with 1 tbsp. oil (no ,salt/seasoning now).
5. Preheat the air fryer for 10 mins at 200C| 390 F. Place the shoestring fries in the air fryer basket.
6. Cook these for 8-10 minutes at 200C,stirring once/twice in between
7. Mix the seasoning with 1 tablespoon olive oil in a bowl
Toss the semi cooked shoe string fries in the seasoning.
Continue to cook at 200C for 8-10 minutes or until you get the desired crispness, of your air fryer fries.
You can always make frozen shoestring fries in air fryer by using a commercial packet. You can always make these shoestring fries in oven if you do not own an air fryer.
Spice these fries using a new spice mix each time. Be it peri-peri for extra spicy fries or basic oregano and thyme for kids. You can also make sweet potato shoestring fries in the same manner, the cooking time and texture might vary.
- air fryer
- mixing bowl
- chopper / food processor / knife & chopping board.
Store these baked shoestring fries in a container and refrigerate. You can always freeze them in a tray. Reheat shoestring fries in an air fryer for 2-4 minutes before you serve.
You can always leave potatoes overnight in cold water. Drain them before usage.
They are pretty much the same except that the shoe string fries are more thin than french fries
Air fryer shoestring fries recipe
- food processor / chopper / knife
- Mixing bowl
- Slice the potatoes as thin as possible using a knife and chopping board. You can also use a food processor for best results.
- Soak it in a bowl of cold water for 2-3 hours. You can also leave them overnight. This helps reduce the starch and results in crisp chips.
- Drain the excess water using a sieve.
- Add some oil to the fries and spread it using a brush or by hand.
- Preheat the air fryer for 10 mins at 200C | 390 F. Place the shoestring fries in the air fryer basket.
- Cook these for 8-10 minutes at 200C,stirring once/twice in between.
- Mix the seasoning with 1 tablespoon olive oil in a bowl. Toss the semi cooked fries in the seasoning.
- Continue to cook at 200C for 8-10 minutes or until you get the desired crispness.
- Serve immediately.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove