Ghee or clarified butter is an essential part of Indian cooking. Most of the households swear by its medicinal properties, thanks to Ayurveda.
How do we use ghee?
It is used in variety of sweets. It gives a great flavor to curries and lentils too. In fact, in some houses, tempering is done only in ghee. It is added to dough of flatbreads and even enhances the flavor of rice.
When we add ghee to rice or wheat, it lowers the glycemic index.
Thus, helps prevent sudden increase of sugar in blood.
Initially, it was prepared by storing left over full fat milk cream at home.(Ref How to make ghee from Cream.) The hectic life gave way to buying it from the local dairy or supermarket. However, with adulteration going up, people are now swinging back to their roots and preparing it at home. If you stay abroad or do not have an access to dairy or simply want to eat healthier, use the below method. It is a simple recipe with step wise photos. How to make Ghee from butter (and you know what goes in your food).
You can also use the leftover solids or Khurchan to make a yummy curry. Vegetables like lauki(Long melon) or Tinda(Round melon) are cooked with it.
Which butter is best for making ghee?
Salted or unsalted both work. However, unsalted is better.
Benefits of ghee:
- It is suitable even for people with lactose intolerance(Please check with your doctor before including it in your diet.)
- It has a high smoking point and is low in fat.
- Aids digestion, is rich in antioxidants, Vitamin A,K,E,D.
- Has anti-cancer properties and is beneficial for thyroid disorders.
- Great for bones and moisturizes skin and hair.
- It even helps lose weight when you eat in moderation.
- It improves immunity
How do you make ghee from store bought butter? Look at the steps below.
Read below to see how to make Ghee from butter
How to make Ghee from butter
- 500 gm butter block
- To store: Clean and dry jar
- In a thick bottom pan,melt butter till you get white bubbles.This process will take 10 minutes.
- Slowly bubbles will separate and milk solids will separate.
- Once bubbles disappear,milk solids will sink to the bottom of the pan.
- This process will take 10 minutes.
- You need to monitor this so that it does not get over cooked and darken.
- Once cool strain the liquid to get clarified butter or ghee.
Finally for more recipe videos, click recipe