Homemade ghee or clarified butter needs no introduction to vegetarian cooking. Ghee has been a choice of cooking for any important occasion. Most people cook in ghee for meals when preparing for young kids. It has been used in India for centuries. No pooja or havan will be complete without the addition of ghee. Contrary to what many now think, ghee has many medicinal properties.
Benefits of ghee
It is great for bones hair and overall health. Contrary to what people think, ghee helps lose weight and belly fat if you consume in limit,2-3 tablespoon per day. Ghee helps with skin issues and prevents premature graying of hair. Having a spoonful of ghee with milk relieves constipation. Provides a great flavor to dishes and helps you avoid extra oil added to cook spices. It is great for frying as it has a higher smoking point.
How can I use ghee?
This leads us to the next question..
How to make ghee at home?
I usually remove cream from milk and store separately in a box.Once its full,its time to make my own batch.You can also make ghee from butter if you cannot be diligent.The only precaution you need while making from malai,do not leave the cream for too long else it may spoil even before you can use it.I have lost it sometimes when I have been lazy or lost track of cream left in the fridge.Don't let this deter you.Make your batch from cream.It is like therapy too.
Also, removing cream,means my skimmed milk is ready to use anytime I want to use it for overnight oats.
If you are wondering ..scroll below:
How to make ghee from malai directly?
Most Indian moms use this technique to make desi ghee from ages. Pure and unadulterated! You also get white butter during the process. Once you strain ghee,you get khurchan. Use it to make sweets, curry or paranthas. Here we have made ghee from milk cream. Remove the top layer of cream once you boil and cool full fat milk. You can drink this as skimmed milk. Save this cream repeatedly in a freezer. Bring the cream to room temperature. Now, use it to prepare ghee.
How to make traditional ghee?
How to make ghee from milk cream? Step-by-step
Read the traditional ghee recipe below:
- 400 gram milk cream Yields around 200 gm pure ghee
- 1 cup water with 1 cup ice
- Mix the cream with a spoon and churn for few seconds in the mixer.
- Add chilled water to cream and churn for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- The cream will curdle and butter will be separated from the liquid.
- Drain the liquid from the butter and start cooking the butter on a low flame.
- The solid will start forming ,keep on cooking on low flame.
- Soon it will start clearing and the solid will start turning light brown.
- When the ghee is clear and the solid below are visible, its time to turn off the heat.
- Let it cool for few minutes,pass the ghee through a sieve so that the solids are separated.
- Store in a clean jar.
Also, click here for more recipe videos.