If you're looking for a healthy and delicious vegan breakfast or snack option, then you'll love these buckwheat muffins. Made with nutrient-dense buckwheat flour, these muffins are not only gluten-free, but they're also packed with fiber, protein, and essential minerals. They're also vegan-friendly, meaning they're free from any animal products or by-products. I find many buckwheat flour recipes in many Melbourne coffee shops to cater for those who want gluten free recipes due to health issues. This makes me happy too as some of it can be made vegan, like buckwheat pancakes and buckwheat banana bread.
Gluten free banana muffins are a great way to use overripe bananas too which otherwise go waste. These muffins are great because they get sweetness majorly from banana.I love using millets for baking as it has better nutritional value to whole grains like whole wheat flour and plain flour.Initially you may find they have an earthy taste and so you may want to add more vanilla extract to the cake.Like this the other millet recipes include ragi cookies, lauki thepla, buckwheat cutlets, falhari pizza, Juar(sorghum) flatbread ,sama pudding and falhari dahi papdi.
Indian upvas recipes and detox
I love upvas recipes. Most food recipes for fasting are a delicious mix of gluten free vegetarian and vegan world. It is a whole new cuisine altogether. I have been fasting for many years now. It gives a break to both my tummy and soul from all the mish mash we keep feed the body and mind. Instead of feeling down and out, you end up feeling rejuvenated. Basically, you have to balance the diet on a fasting day. Eating fruits, consuming milk and staying off extra spicy food will help restore the balance in the body. That doesn't mean you cannot have good food! Of course you can.Easy vrat recipes help you restore and cleanse.
- Air fryer or Oven
- muffin cups, muffin trays, whisk
- Potato masher/ fork to mash bananas
Ingredients for gluten free banana muffins
- Buckwheat flour
- Milk/ almond milk or any plant-based milk (for vegan buckwheat muffins)
- Coconut sugar/raw sugar
- Powdered chia seeds + water
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Chopped walnuts/ seeds
- Add chia seed to water to make chia seed egg. Mix well and Keep it aside for 5mins.
- Mash the bananas using a fork or a potato masher.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together chia seed mix, sugar, oil and mashed bananas.
- Mix buckwheat flour,cocoa powder,baking powder,baking soda, add these to the wet ingredients.
- Mix it until you get a muffin batter with flowing consistency.
- Scoop batter into muffin liners or a greased muffin tray. Garnish it with seeds and nuts
For air fryer muffins
- I have used 2-3 muffin liners for each muffin so that .
- Preheat the air fryer at 150 deg C for 5 mins. Use the bake/roast option for 18-20 mins at 150 deg C. Check with toothpick, it should come clean. Serve warm.
For oven baked muffin
- Preheat the oven for 10 mins at 170 deg C. Bake in an oven for 25 mins or until toothpick comes clean.
buckwheat muffin recipe | buckwheat banana muffins recipe
- Air fryer or oven
- Whisk, muffin cups, muffin trays for baking
- Grinder to grind chia seeds or flax seeds
- 1 tbsp. powdered chia seeds 1 tablespoon powdered chia seeds soaked in ⅓ cup water for 15 minutes
- ⅓ cup water to soak powdered chia seeds
- 2 medium bananas
- ¼ cup oil coconut or sunflower
- ¼ cup raw sugar or coconut sugar
- ¼ cup milk /any vegan milk
- ½ tablespoon cocoa powder I prefer dutch processed cocoa
- ¾ cup buckwheat flour kuttu flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tbsp. sunflower seeds or a mixture of seeds like hemp seeds,pumpkin seeds
- Mix powdered chia seeds with water with aspoon. Keep it aside for 5 mins.
- Mash the bananas using a fork or a potato masher.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, oiland mashed bananas.
- Add chia seed mix with milk.
- Mix buckwheat flour with baking soda, bakingpowder and add to mixing bowl.Mix the batter, until all ingredients aremixed. Do not overmix.
- Mix buckwheat flour with baking soda, baking powder and to mixing bowl.
- Mix the batter, until all ingredients are mixed.Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter in muffin liners or agreased muffin tray. Garnish it with seeds.
- Preheat the oven at 170 deg C for 10 mins.
- Bake in an oven for 25 mins or until toothpick comes clean.
In Air fryer
- Preheat the air fryer at 150 deg C for 5 mins.
- Use 2-3 muffin liners for each muffin so that the shape is retained. Use the bake/roast option for 18-20 mins at 150 deg C or using the baking option
- Check if the toothpick comes out clean,if not, bake for further 2-3 minutes.
You can also serve sweet muffins with an ice cream scoop or a cup of tea depending on season.
More buckwheat recipes?
- Grind 100 grams of flaxseeds and chia seeds in a grinder and store it in a glass bottle. This will help expedite baking when you want to make flax egg or chia egg.
- Over ripe bananas and neutral oil like sunflower oil are best suited for this recipe. However, you may use coconut oil or olive oil as per your taste. If you find them stronger in taste, you may add a teaspoon cinnamon powder or vanilla extract to the above recipe.
- Mashed banana can also be replaced by cup of unsweetened applesauce
Variations and substitutions
- You can make add some extra chocolate chips or cacao nibs to this above recipe if you do not have seeds at home. During falahar and Navratri fasting, chocolate is not allowed.
- Make it vegan by substituting milk with almond milk or oat milk. (if not eating during fasting).
- Make small muffins or oversized cupcakes as per your choice. I feel mini muffins work great for school lunch boxes. They can be baked over the weekend and are great for afternoon tea break at school. Using buckwheat in sweet treats make it healthier than all purpose flour.
Store these simple buckwheat banana muffins in an air-tight container at room temperature.
It is a pseudo-cereal like quinoa and amaranth. It is anti-inflammatory and not related to wheat.
Rich in iron, copper and manganese. It is a complete protein and contains all amino acids body cannot produce. Hence, a great meat alternative for vegans and vegetarians. It is high in soluble fiber.Helps lower cholesterol and blood pressure.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C).
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds.
- Always have good ventilation.