Homemade peanut butter flavor is one of my favorites these days. Add some chocolate to it, and it is a match made in heaven. Make a pb ice cream or make a chocolate peanut butter icecream. You will always love having it once you start making a batch.
I have always loved having roasted and boiled peanuts. However, I was introduced to nut butter quite late. I am not a fan of processed commercial nut butter so how did I end up eating so much of it?
Probably, that's what happens when you listen to nursery rhyme peanut butter jelly time every single day as a mum. Make this vegan peanut butter ice cream or cookies. Bliss balls or just eat it on bread. My butter cup loves it. I have even made sugar free modaks from it.
I am sure you will love this ice cream as much as we do. Let us know how it turned out!
Sugarless treats for kids
I have made dairy based ice creams in the past. However, our quest of eating healthy brought us to using fruit sugars instead of commercial one when it came to sweet treats for my kiddo. He does get enough sweet treats in the week so we have always wanted to make or bake something vegan and sugarless yet sweet.
Kids today have greater choices of treats and while we must not limit their experiences, we should always encourage them to eat healthy. After all, we become what we eat. Body slows down its metabolism with our sedentary lifestyles and then we start limiting our favorite food. If we choose better, we live better.
Here is our favorite ice cream recipe of this week. No sugar, no heavy cream, no whole milk yet the whole bowl finishes within minutes. I love this any day over desserts filled with granulated sugar. Vegan and gluten free and totally awesome!
No machine no problem!
This recipe does not require any ice cream maker. You just need to mix all ingredients in a blender and freeze them.
- grinder if making nut butter at home
- Peanut butter from Roasted peanuts (I buy the unsalted roasted peanuts from the supermarket)
- frozen bananas ( over-ripe will do) peeled, sliced and frozen for 3-4 hours.
- cocoa powder
- coconut milk (You can use light one if you like)
Refer to recipe card for quantities.
- You can use market based peanut butter or make your own.
- How to make peanut butter at home ?
- Grind ¾ cup peanuts to make ½ cup nut butter in a spice grinder. Keep grinding peanuts in short pulses until the oil is extracted and it gets a soft silky texture. You can do this in advance and keep it in a bottle.
- Chop the frozen bananas and add it to a blender .
- Now, add the nut butter.
- Add cocoa powder to the blender.
- Now add coconut milk to it.
- Blend until you get a smooth mixture.
- Ensure it is mixed well.
- Pour the mixture in an ice cream tub. Add some chopped nuts or chocolate chips on top if you like
- Cover it with cling film. Close the lid and let it set overnight of 5-6 hours in the freezer.
- Do not keep your freezer to coldest setting as it will end up with very hard dessert.
- Before serving, wait for 5-10 minutes before scooping and serving.
- Add extra chopped nuts, chocolate sauce and chocolate chips optionally while serving.
Add nuts of your choice while serving. You can also substitute peanut butter with almond butter or nut butter of your choice like hazelnuts, cashews and macadamia.
You can add different fruits with frozen bananas , for example strawberries for an easy strawberry ice cream.
Store your chocolate peanut butter ice cream in freezer in an air tight plastic container with a cling film on top.
Make a big batch of nut butter and store it in an air tight container up to 1 month at room temperature. Use it to make sweets of your choice later. Always cover homemade ice cream with cling film and then close the lid.
This will help avoid ice crystals and keep the texture smooth. Remember homemade ice cream does not have market based stabilizers and preservatives hence can get crystallization.
Also, whenever you see over ripe bananas, freeze them if you do not have time to bake a cake. This helps avoid food waste at our own level and also whip up sugarless treats in no time.
Ensure you freeze the ice-cream brick immediately after taking out your scoops.
Chocolate Peanut butter icecream recipe | Vegan chocolate pb ice cream
- 3 tbsp. peanut butter roasted& unsalted ( ¾ cup peanuts yield ½ cup peanut butter)
- 2 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 3 frozen bananas or 3 large frozen bananas(peeled and frozen) chopped
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- Grind peanuts to make nut butter in a spice grinder. Keep grinding peanuts in short pulses until the oil is extracted and it gets a soft silky texture.(you can skip this step and use a store bought peanut butter)
- In a blender, add the nut butter, frozen bananas, cocoa powder and coconut milk. Blend until you get a smooth mixture.
- Pour the mixture in an ice cream tub. Tip: You may add some roasted chopped nuts or chocolate chips on top.
- Cover it with cling film. Close the lid and let it set overnight of 5-6 hours in the freezer.Do not keep your freezer to coldest setting as it will end up with very hard dessert.
- Before serving, wait for 5-10 minutes before scooping and serving. Serve it in cone or cup with extra chopped nuts, chocolate sauce
It lasts atleast a month in freezer.
If you see oil on top after storing it for sometime. Turn it upside down so that the contents get mixed again.
Yes upto 6 months. However, fresh is best.
Do not keep your freezer to coldest setting as it will end up with very hard dessert.Also allow your dessert to rest for 5-10 minutes before trying to scoop.
Creamy nut butter is here to stay for a while in my house! Are you a nut butter lover too? What did you think of this recipe? Do let us know.