Homemade Strawberry Jam is simply yummy.It has no added preservatives or additives.Great way to use soft berries which go waste otherwise.Unlike market based jams,you can control the sugar in this recipe.Add as per your choice as berries themselves are quite sweet when in season.
Juicy, summery and delicious strawberry is also known as, ‘queen of fruits’. Everyone loves them for their sweet yet tart taste.One of the most beautiful things about strawberry is that it is so versatile. You can have it fresh, cook it or have it frozen. It can be used to give a twist to any of the recipes.They are a great source of anti-oxidants,Vitamin C and full of natural sweetness.Homemade strawberry jam or preserve is a great way of having strawberries when they are in plenty and can be eaten with any bread or flatbread.
You may use stevia instead of coconut sugar if you like. This is a strawberry jam with no sugar and no pectin hence needs to be refrigerated.It lasts 5-7 days in refrigerator.
Benefits of strawberries
- Great for teeth.
- Improves vitamin C and immunity.
- Power packed with anti-oxidants.
- Protects the heart.
- Sodium-free,fat-free and low calories.
How to select the best strawberries
Strawberries have a very short shelf life, even in the refrigerator. The best place to buy strawberries is a strawberry farm, where you can get/pluck them fresh. You may also get from the local farmers' market. One must look for strawberries that are dark red in colour, avoiding the orange undertones. Sometimes you can also choose a good basket of berries by giving it a sniff. Sweet, ripe strawberries are going to have a great berry scent to them and you can store them in refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Great to use strawberries when they are peak season.It means they are cheaper and this helps you fight food waste at your own level.Other uses are strawberry ice cream, milkshake,fro-yo,cake and crush,
Step by step pictures of strawberry jam
1.Leave strawberries in sugar for 4 hours/overnight
2.Cook in a pan until it thickens
homemade strawberrry jam
- Fresh strawberries 2 cups/400gms, sliced
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Cut the strawberries in slices.
- Add the sugar to the mix,cover the bowl
- Leave it aside for 5-6 hours at room temperature.
- Take a clean pan and heat the jam mix. Add the vinegar.
- Stir it slowly until the water has dried up .
- Let it cool off and transfer to an air tight container.
- You can store this in the refrigerator for 2 weeks.
Looking for more strawberry recipes?
Click here to see more dips and chutneys.