Karepaaku Podi-Curry leaves powder is an easy way of including curry leaves in your diet.It is also a great way of using extra curry leaves which may darken after a while.You can eat this with loads of ghee or oil if vegan and rice.It is one of the initial courses in a standard telugu/kannada meal.Both these states share a border and also share many recipes.South Indian cooking is mostly gluten-free and involves lots of lentils.
South Indian cuisine is a potpourri of flavors.Most thali menus follow a routine.The main course begins with serving chutney and dry powders along with rice after crispies and fried papad.This is followed by dry curries and dal,rasam and sambhar.
The meal usually ends with a sweet and curd rice.
You can also use this powder to give a taste to plain dosa while cooking.
Any bland vegetable also gets a spicy twist when you eat this powder along with it. You can make it as spicy as you want or as tangy as you can by adjusting the spice.
Steps for recipe of Karepaaku Podi-Curry leaves powder
Read the recipe of Karepaaku Podi-Curry leaves powder
Karepaaku Podi-Curry leaves powder
- 3 tbsp urad dal
- 3 tbsp chana dal
- 1 tbsp jeera /cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp dhaniya /whole coriander seeds
- ¼ cup nariyal /dry coconut optional
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 10-12 sprigs curry patta or curry leaves
- 2 tbsp tamarind seedless
- Dry roast lentils and spices for15 mins.Keep it aside to cool.
- Grind them in spice blender once done.
- Heat oil in a pan and roast curry leaves 15-20 mins.
- Add dry coconut and roast again for 5 mins.
- Grind the leaves in the blender along with salt and tamarind.
- Store in an air-tight dry container.
To serve: Mix a tbsp of powder with oil/ghee and add to rice.You may add curd as well if not eating vegan.
Increase the spice by adding more chillies or chilli powder to it according to your taste.
You may also add 1 tbsp garlic to this recipe as per your taste while roasting the curry leaves.
Pair it with these amazing South Indian recipes.
Click here to read additional such chutney and dip recipes
Also,click here to see recipe videos from our Youtube channel "Secondrecipe".