Tomato upma is a very healthy and tasty breakfast.For those who do not know, it is a salty veggie semolina pudding.Sooji rava or semolina is any easy fix for breakfast and sweets.Be it upma or rava laddu,both are easy dishes.It is a traditional breakfast which is served everywhere nowadays.From office canteens to weddings,train menus to temples.You will see many versions of it.Some like it vegan,else like the sourness of yogurt and minimal veggies.Others like it served with pesarattu.Some even make it with sewiya,called as the semiya upma.
You can make uppit (As Kannadigas call it) even without the sourness of tomatoes.
However, I love this tangier version more.
While vada, dosa and idli, need an overnight or 4-6 hours soaking and grinding,you can make this dish anytime you are hungry.
Play with the veggies in the kitchen and make your own recipe.
Serve it with coconut chutney or just have it with some sugar on top.This is a perfect combo with a hot cup of filter coffee.
Roast sooji/semolina well to have the perfect plate of breakfast.
You may optionally add a small tea spoon of butter/ghee/coconut oil in the end, just before you serve.
Kids and toddlers can have it with yogurt.
Step by Step Pics of tomato rava upma
Scroll below to read the tomato upma recipe
Tomato upma-Semolina pudding
- 1 cup semolina/sooji dry roasted
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot chopped
- 1 cup tomato chopped
- Curry leaves Sprig
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 1 tsp. green chillies
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Salt as per taste
- Heat Oil in a pan,add curry leaves,mustard seeds,ginger and chilies.
- Add onion & salt,cook for a few minutes.
- Now, add carrot and tomato,cook for a few minutes until the tomatoes are soft.
- Add roasted semolina/sooji,cook for a few minutes.
- Add 2.5 cups of water,cook until all water has evaporated.
- Cover and let it stand for a few minutes.
- Garnish with coconut(optional).
Click here to see more South Indian recipes.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.