Farali Chiwda- Fasting Mixture is one of the most loved mixtures in India.You can always enjoy a little sweet and salty mix with tea or coffee. Whether you fast or just want to have it during travel. This mix always is a perfect crunch of potatoes nuts and some raisins. This mix is a great option even for kids who want some from your plate. Trail mixes are great for travel too. You get a good munch and crunch while you wait to reach your destination. Farari chewdo is quite a hit even without days of fasting. Falahari mixture is a perfect mix of sweet and sour. Upvas chivda is a must have from Jalaram's in Bhilai. My uncle has always treated me to this snack whenever I have been there. It has always been my favorite.
However, the farali chevdo mix available outside is fried. Fried mix is great for taste but not great for your waistline. I do love my cornflakes chiwda. However you do not need to compromise on the food you eat if you can make it at home.
Here is a healthier version of this Upwas mix which is baked and yet as tasty as the original mix.
How to make the farali chiwda recipe?
One of the possible way to cut the potato in thin strips, first slice them and then using a slicer, you will get nicely cut strip.
The wooden stick/toothpick is used to ensure that potato strips stay together.
1.Insert a wooden skewers or toothpick across a potato,cut into slices
2.Then using a mandalon slicer,make thick chips
4.Spread them into a baking sheet and bake
Read the recipe of baked farali chivda
Farali Chiwda- Fasting Mixture
- 2 large starchy potatoes
- 2 tbsp oil 1 tbsp oil for potatoes+ 1 tbsp oil for nuts
- ½ cup nuts cashew,almonds
- Handful of raisins
- ½ cup dried coconut flakes/slices
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp dry mint leaves powdered
- 1 tbsp dried mango powder
- Salt as per taste
- Peel and grate the potatoes into thin strips,(Refer to images above)
- Toss it with oil and evenly spread out on baking sheet.
- Bake at 160 degrees C (fan forced) for 35-40 minutes.
- Once they have turned dark yellow in colour, take them out, they will turn crispier when set aside to cool
- Toss the nuts & coconut flakes with 1 tbsp oil and bake at 160 deg C for 10 mins.
- Add raisins to the roasted nuts and bake for further 5 mins
- Mix all the ingredients.
- Store in an airtight container.
Our top fasting recipes
Click here to read more fasting recipes.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.