No mention of Gujarati food can be complete without the quintessential "Dhokla".Simple steamed protein rich and super tasty.Most people know the"Khaman" version.We use chickpea flour or 'besan' to make Khaman.It has a distinct yellow color.The dal & rice version is the actual dhokla.Mixed dal dhokla is also a great way to start your day. It is fermented so is great for gut & is a powerhouse of nutrients.Mix dal recipe is a great way to have proteins.
Another must have variety is a sandwich dhokla.It combines both rava and besan dhokla.
Kids and aged people can also enjoy mixed dal dhokla.It has minimal oil & spices.It has everything for everyone.Bit of sweetness,some acidity and loads of nutrients.
Low oil yet great flavors.
Fermented foods and Indian subcontinent
Fermented food may be a fad now in the western world.However, Indian cuisine uses a lot of fermented cooking.You have various foods in all parts of the country which cater to your digestive needs.It helps you improve your gut without actually popping a probiotic or a prebiotic and countless pills.
Idli,Dosa in the South ,Dhokla in the west,Gundruk and Sinki in the east and Kanji in the North.
Step by step pictures for dal dhokla
Read the mixed dal dhokla recipe below:
Mixed dal dhokla-Steamed lentil cake
- 1 cup channa dal/Split chickpeas dal
- 1/2 cup urad dal/ black gram dal
- 1/2 cup mung dal/yellow lentils
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 1 small chilli chopped
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 4-5 green chillies sliced.
- few sprigs of curry leaves
- Soak all the lentils and rice overnight with enough water.
- Blend with minimum water & salt to get a thick batter,keep it aside for 6 hrs/overnight.
- Add ginger,chillies and baking soda to the batter.
- Steam for 15-20 mins in an oiled vessel.
- Let it cool and cut into pieces.
- In a pan ,heat oil and temper curry leaves,mustard and chillies and add the dhokla pieces to tempering.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.