Khaman Dhokla or Nylon dhokla is a common breakfast or tea-time snack. It belongs to the Indian state of Gujarat. This is now loved and eaten in almost all parts of India. You can find this snack at almost every local eatery. You will find packets at any local kirana shops. Even dhokla mix is very popular just like cake mix. Actually, it is very easy to make it from scratch. Some people also make recipe of dhokla in microwave these days. I stopped using microwave 3 years back so I don't mind making the steamer version. Might take a bit longer to cook but I am ok with it.
After samosa, instant Dhokla has gained the maximum popularity worldwide 🙂
Instant khaman dhokla is a great quick fix to healthy snack or if guests are coming home at a short notice.
What is khaman dhokla made of?
This soft and fluffy steamed cake made with gram flour/chickpea flour/besan.
What is the difference between khaman and dhokla?
There are many versions of dhokla.
One made from Besan(Instant/Nylon) called as khaman and while the other, dhokla is made from Chana Dal(Fermented). The one I've mentioned here is the Nylon khaman with Besan (Gram Flour) which I have made with eno or fruit salt.
Another popular nowadays is the sandwich dhokla. You can see many packets of these in local kirana stores at Mumbai packed by small cottage industries.Sandwich dhokla combines khaman and Rava dhokla( made with sooji or semolina) and layers them with a hint of mint chutney in between.Rava besan dhokla is quite yummy too.
Amiri khaman is made with the left-over khaman.We temper it with garlic and serve it with pomegranate seeds and sev.
You can have it as such or with chutneys .The best thing about it is steamed and hence, is healthy and low calorie. It is vegan and gluten-free too.You can make it for picnic or when you travel.
There are some questions that we face when we make it first time.Either it is not very fluffy or turns red.When I first started making dhokla recipe from scratch it took me a while to make it fool-proof.Making dhokla reminds me of chemistry experiments actually.It is a simple recipe yet might need some time to perfect.Soft dhokla does win your heart eventually.
If you also faced questions like me,read below queries before you scroll down to the recipe.
Why did my dhokla turn red?
If we mix too much turmeric in the batter.It reacts with eno and turns red.
What can I use instead of Eno in Dhokla?
Obviously, you can't rush to market if you dont have it at home.
Baking soda works just fine.Add some lemon juice to make up for the citric acid in eno.
What makes dhokla spongy?
This dhokla recipe with Eno is an easy starter. However, you should mind a few things. Batter should be like cake and do not let it sit for long once you add fruit salt to it.
You should steam over medium flame.
How to make khaman dhokla?
Read Instant Khaman Dhokla recipe below:
For the batter
- 1 -½ cups besan/gram flour
- 2 tbsp. cup yogurt not very sour
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tbsp rava or semolina optional
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- A generous pinch of asafoetida heeng
- 1 ½ tsp eno or fruit salt
- 1 tsp salt or as required
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves about 8 to 10 curry leaves
- 1 green chili chopped (optional)
- 2 tsp sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- Grease a steamer pan with little tsp oil.
- Take 2 to 3 cups of water in a steamer pan or pressure cooker and allow it to boil
- Mix together all the ingredients for the batter except the fruit salt(eno).
- Stir to a smooth thick batter without any lumps.,Use enough water to make a easy pour consistency batter.
- Add in the Eno or fruit salt to the dhokla batter. Stir briskly and quickly.
- The batter would froth and become bubbly, so you have to be quick.
- When the mixture rises, pour it into a steamer pan or greased thali and steam for about 15 minutes.
- Place the pan with the dhokla batter in the steamer.
- Allow it to steam for 20-25 minutes.
- To check the doneness, insert a toothpick and if it comes out clean, the dhokla is done. If the toothpick has the batter on it,
- then you need to steam for some more time.
- Once done allow the Khaman to cool down for 20-25 mins.
- Take it out in a plate. Cut it in small pieces.
- Heat oil in a small pan over medium heat moderately.
- Add mustard seeds and sesame seeds. Stir for 3-4 seconds.
- Add green chili and curry leaves, stir for few seconds.
- Add ¼ cup of water. After mixing well, add 2 tsp of sugar. Cook on high flame for about 2 minutes now.
- Add lime juice and turn off the heat.
- First drizzle the hot water over dhokla. This will keep the dhokla moist. Then drizzle the seasoning over.
Click here to see more appetizer recipes.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.