Many of us describe this dish "Chilli paneer" as one word..Yum!!! You may call it Paneer Chilli or paneer chilli gravy, it does not matter. Most of us have surely would have tasted from the roadside eatery in India .These suddenly had popped up on street food scene in the early 90s. I love making it when I want paneer but do not want to eat matar paneer or kadai paneer.
- What is chilli paneer?
- Steps to prep the paneer cubes (in an oven)
- Steps to prep the paneer cubes (in an air fryer)
- Steps to make restaurant style chilli paneer gravy recipe
- Chilli paneer Recipe
- How to make chilli paneer restaurant style?
- Need more air fryer recipes?
What is chilli paneer?
This starter is one of the easiest appetizers, you can make at home. This is a particular crowd favorite. Both vegetarians and meat lovers love it. You will definitely love making them especially when it is free from MSG. Cottage cheese fried or baked to perfection and served with soy and sesame spicy sauce mix. You can make chilli paneer recipes dry or in sauce.
Homemade paneer gets a stylish makeover as paneer tikka and paneer chilli. It wins the heart of all hungry patrons. Indian cottage cheese is a class in itself.It fits profile of every foodie whether you love savory or sweet. Curry or bread, snack or dessert you can make anything and everything with this ingredient. We talk about this dish, maximum while leaving an office party. Give your dinners/luncheons a stylish twist. You ensure guests leave with a smile and a beautiful memory. Enjoy this dish as home just like we do. It is perfect companion of noodles and fried rice while rains lash down.
Life is beautiful and blissful because your tummy is full. Always be thankful for a roof on your head and food.
What is Indo-Chinese cuisine?
- Indo-Chinese is a fusion cuisine which has best of both Indian spices and Chinese food. Due to this it suits Indian palate.
- You may make it as spicy as you like.
- May also remove MSG or ajinomoto.
- It is immensely popular across shacks and hotels across India.
- You will always find college kids and bachelors raving for it.
- This cuisine is an amalgamation of vegetarian/ non-vegetarian dishes.
- Adapted from Asian cuisine.
- Other dishes include fried rice, noodles, momo, dumplings and wontons.
- Veg crispy recipe like baby corn, mixed veg manchurian, chilli gobi or gobi 65.
- Fresh paneer cubes
- Red chilly powder and salt
- Corn flour or corn starch /tapioca starch/arrow root powder
- Soy sauce
- Tomato sauce
- Hot chilly sauce
- Sweet- sour sauce
- Red & green capsicums
- Green onions
- sesame oil
- salt and pepper
Steps to prep the paneer cubes (in an oven)
1.Soak the paneer cubes in water, this is an optional step required if you are using a store brought paneer that is hard.
2.Mix tapioca flour/corn starch with salt and red chilli powder
3.Roll the paneer cubes into it.
4.Line them up on a grill rack ,not directly on a baking tray. Brush them with oil.
5. Bake into oven at 160deg C(fan forced) for 15-20 minutes
Steps to prep the paneer cubes (in an air fryer)
1.Make the batter of the tapioca, salt and red chilli powder by adding some water. Add that on top of paneer cubes, drain excess liquid.
2.Place the paneer pieces in the air fryer basket. You may use the steamer sheets or baking sheets with holes. Spray/brush with oil.
3. Cook in air fryer at 190 deg C for 12-15 minutes.
Steps to make restaurant style chilli paneer gravy recipe
- Chop the veggies ,ginger and garlic
2. Heat oil in a wok. Add finely chopped ginger, garlic and chillies. Add onion, cook on medium flame for few minutes. Add the rest of veggies.
3.Add the sauces with salt and black pepper powder or crushed black pepper. Let it cook for few minutes. If you prefer a thin gravy , then this is the time to add 2 teaspoons corn flour/tapioca starch mixed with 1 cup water and let it boil
4.Add the paneer cubes to the gravy. Toss them well.
Serve chilli paneer hot on a bed of Hakka noodles or with fried rice.
Read the chilli paneer recipe below:
Chilli paneer Recipe
- air fryer or oven
- 400 gms fresh paneer cubes
- 2-3 tbsp. corn flour/tapioca starch/arrowroot
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. red chilly powder
- 2-3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp hot chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp sweet & sour sauce optional
- 2-2 tbsp sesame oil or any vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. sliced ginger
- 1 tbsp. sliced garlic
- 1 tbsp. green chilly chopped
- 1 Onion chopped or 1 cup
- 1 Green capsicum chopped or 1 cup
- ½ Red capsicum chopped or ½ cup
- 3-4 Green onions chopped or ½ cup
- Salt as per taste Adjust as per salt in Soy sauce
- ½ tsp pepper crushed
- ½ tsp Sesame seeds
- ¼ cup green onions chopped
Prep paneer pieces in Oven
- Soak the paneer cubes in water, this is an optional step required if you are using a store brought paneer that is hard.
- Mix tapioca flour/corn flour with salt and red chilli powder
- Roll the paneer cubes into it,Line them up on a grill rack ,not directly on a baking tray. Brush them with oil
- Bake into oven at 160C(fan forced) for 15-20 minutes
Prep paneer pieces in Air fryer
- Make slurry of the tapioca,salt and red chilli powder by adding some water. Add that on top of paneer cubes, drain excess liquid.
- Place the paneer pieces in the air fryer basket,You may use the steamer sheets or baking sheets with holes.Spray/brush with oil.
- Cook in air fryer at 190C for 12-15 minutes.
Steps for Paneer chilly gravy
- Chop the veggies with ginger and garlic
- Heat oil in a wok,add ginger,garlic and chillies. Add onion,cook on medium flame for few minutes.Add rest of veggies
- Add the sauces with salt and perpper,let it cook for few minutes.If you prefer a thin gravy , then this is the time to add 2 tsp cornflour/tapioca starch mixed with 1 cup water and let it boil.
- Add the paneer cubes to the gravy.toss them well.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and chopped spring onions.
How to make chilli paneer restaurant style?
This is the traditional style where we make the starter with fried paneer.
Increase the heat and sauces according to your taste. If you like it super spicy, add extra tablespoons of green chilli sauce or red chilli sauce to it. Add a tablespoon soya sauce if required.
You can also make gobi manchurian ,veg manchurian and soy manchurian in a similar fashion.
Looking for more desi Chinese recipes?
You can make this appetizer via traditional method by frying or bake in an oven if not using an air fryer. For best results, use a wok to make the gravy.If you do not have a wok, a stainless steel pan will do. Wok tends to remain hot even after cooking is done so handle with care. Also, ensure the veggies are not over cooked.
Keep the fried paneer cubes ready and store in an air-tight jar in refrigerator. Make a fresh sauce mix and serve as soon as guests arrive.
Need more air fryer recipes?
Finally to additional recipe videos click here.