Sandwich Dhokla is a famous Gujarati snack.You will find many fans of this snack.
Light and fluffy.Yellow and white with a hint of green inside.
You will find packets of sandwich dhokla being sold in many Mumbai Kirana stores.
These are cottage industries which serve to the snack needs of many bachelors and office going crowd.
Dhokla is a fulfilling appetizer.It works great for as a starter for a party.It is a low oil, low-carb snack.This works well for those watching their weight.Steaming gives it a soft texture.Thus makes it easy to eat.Most Indians are vegetarian and also avoid eggs.Eating besan/ chickpea flour helps you with protein content.
While the market based one has sugar syrup added,so that it stays fresh and soft.
The homemade one is tasty and healthy.
You can add a spoonful of sugar syrup if you like it a tad sweeter.Otherwise it tastes just as good too.
Steps for sandwich dhokla
read the recipe of sandwich dhokla below
For white rava dhokla:
- ½ cup sooji/semolina
- ¼ cup curd/dahi/yogurt
- Salt as per taste
- ¼ teaspoon fruit salt or eno
- 1 tablespoon water
For yellow Khaman dhokla:
- ½ cup besan/chickpea flour
- ¼ teaspoon haldi/turmeric powder
- Salt as per taste
- 3 tablespoon water
- ¼ teaspoon eno or fruit salt
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1-2 green chillies slit lengthwise
- Pinch of Heeng/Asafoetida
For the white dhokla:
- Dry roast the semolina/rava in a pan without any oil for 5 minutes on low flame,Let it cool
- Add all ingredients for while dhokla except Eno and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat the steamer after adding 2 cups of water to it.Grease the container with oil.
- Add the fruit salt or eno to the batter.
- Steam for 10 minutes till the rava dhokla is ready.
- Layer the mint chutney on the Rava dhokla evenly till a thin layer is formed(do not add to much of chutney, else the 2 layers will not stick together.
For the yellow dhokla:
- Dry roast the besan/chickpea flour in a pan without oil
- Mix all ingredients for yellow dhokla except Eno.Make a smooth batter.
- Add Eno and pour the khaman batter on the rava dhokla/chutney.
- Steam for 10 minutes.Keep it aside and let it cool
- Run a knife on the edges of the pan,turn it upside so that the layered dhokla comes out like a cake.
- Cut in desired shapes.
- Heat oil , add mustard seeds until they splutter.Add remaining ingredients, cook for 1 minute.
- Add tempering on the dhokla pieces, serve immediately.
Note: You can add 2-3 teaspoon of sugar syrup and some lemon juice before serving if you like it a little sweet and tangy
- If serving at a later point in time, add the tempering at that time.
Looking for more Gujarati recipes?
Click here for more appetizer recipes.
Finally click here for watching more recipe videos