Indian cooking is known for its carrot halwa ,and kala jamuns. However, there is another halwa one must taste Pumpkin halwa. Pumpkin or kaddu is a versatile vegetable. You can curry it or make a stew. Make a soup, a pie, tart and even make a dessert out of it. Be it kasi halwa, or a pumpkin cake, pumpkin sweet recipes always win you over. Also, it is a great way of using left-over pumpkin pieces. It is an easy vegetable to cook with. Pumpkins are naturally sweet. You can enjoy it as it gets creamy and sweet as it gets cooked.
Kaddu ka halva recipe can be eaten during fasting periods of Navratri or saavan somavar. Making a sweet out of veggies makes it interesting. Making it with jaggery ensures its iron rich too. I love using pumpkin for pies and muffins too. However, that is for another time. You can also use green pumpkin to make a petha halwa if butternut squash /yellow pumpkins are unavailable. When fasting, we can make delicious dishes such as sweet potato kheer, ghiya kheer, sabakki payasa/sabudana kheer and fruit custard. Check out this top 10 list of fasting recipes here
- Peel and chop pumpkin in bite size pieces.
2.Heat oil or ghee in a pressure cooker. Add pumpkin pieces to it. Cook until it softens. Add saffron strands & water. Pressure cook until one whistle. Optionally you may add cardamom powder too.
3. Mix well to mash the pumpkin pieces.
4. Add coconut flour/ desiccated flour to it. Mix well.
5. Add jaggery to it and mix well.
6. Strain it.
7. Cook on a low flame for 10-15 minutes until it thickens.
Read the kaddu ka halwa recipe here
Pumpkin halwa recipe
- pressure cooker
- Heat oil or ghee in a pressure cooker. Add pumpkin pieces to it with a pinch of salt.
- Cook until it softens.
- Add saffron strands along with water. Pressure cook until one whistle.
- Now, add coconut flour/ desiccated flour to it. Mix well.
- Add jaggery and mix well, strain this mix.
- Cook on a low flame for 10-15 mins until it thickens. Serve warm.
Please share your inputs..