Pumpkin soup with coconut milk is a great start to supper. Especially when it is a cold winter night. Butternut pumpkins are plenty during autumn and winter. Great way to have a light meal. I love the golden hue it has. You may even add sour cream if you are not vegan. You can increase the flavor by adding sour cream to the soup.
If you do not have it at home, no worries. Just serve it with some herbs like rosemary, parsley or cilantro. It is a great way of having pumpkins which otherwise might not be relished by picky kids.
This creamy soup provides the goodness of gourd, carrots too. You may add sweet potato and piece of gourd/zucchini to this to increase the nutrients. You may even roast the pumpkin if you want. It can be relished by people of all age groups as it is tasty yet low on spice.
is pumpkin soup healthy?
- Rich in Vitamin A.
- Rich in antioxidants.
- Promotes weight-loss.
- Protects eye-sight.
why is pumpkin soup good for you?
It is healthy, low calorie yet a flavorsome fix instead of a takeaway. Pumpkins are vegan and gluten-free. They also last long. Hence, is great for a low budget. Soup is perfect for a late meal. Sleeping post a soup, ensures you have a great start next morning. There is no upset tummy from a late meal.
You can use any pumpkin for this soup if butternut squash variety is not available.
What goes well with pumpkin soup?
Just toast some homemade buns. All you need for a good life is a big bowl of soup, munchies and a good movie. You can also have easy pumpkin soup with garlic bread and some air fried frozen sweet potato fries. If Italian works for you, even a good bowl of pasta & bruschetta goes fine with it. Have it at work with some club sandwiches. You can even serve chilli cheese toast , homebaked French fries or air fryer pizza for dinner.
- butter /oil for vegan option
- onion diced
- carrot diced
- pumpkin diced
- vegetable stock cube
- coconut milk optional
- salt as per taste
- Hand blender
how to make pumpkin soup with coconut milk?
- In a sauce pan, heat oil/butter and sauté onions until they are pink.
- Add carrots and pumpkin pieces and let it soften.
3. Add water and stock powder.
4. Blend and add coconut milk.
5. Heat & let it come a boil. Serve with cheese toast or garlic bread.
Pumpkin Soup recipe
- 2 tablespoon butter /oil for vegan option
- 2 onion diced
- 1 carrot medium diced
- 3 cups pumpkin diced
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 4 cups water
- ½ cup coconut milk optional
- Salt as per taste
- In a saucepan, heat oil and sauté' onions until translucent.
- Add carrots and pumpkin pieces along with salt. Let it soften for 5 minutes.
- Add soup stock and water.
- Cover and cook until carrots are soft.
- Blend with a stick blender, add coconut milk.
- Heat & let it come a boil. Serve with cheese toast or garlic bread.
Spices like nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, chillies, vanilla go well.
Yes, soup tastes best when cooked for around 20-25 mins. I love making soups in a Dutch oven.
Store in refrigerator for 4-5 days at max. Always reheat before serving. For best results, reheat only the portion size you want to have at the moment. Add fresh herbs before you serve.
Also click here to see more recipe videos.