Moong dal halwa is a yum treat. It is a must for cold winters. You will find this a lot in weddings. However people find it difficult to make at home as it is tedious. This is an instant version. Most people love making gajar ka halwa at home. However, this halva is just as tasty to make. This is the easy recipe for Moong dal halwa. Yes, you read it right. You can make the lentil halwa without soaking.
Both carrot & moong dal halwa are a must at weddings. Hence, the fandom. However, making this is much easier as you do not need to grate carrots. It is rich in protein as well. You also do not even need the red carrot from market too. The original recipe takes much longer time to cook.
What is moong dal halwa ?How to make moong dal halwa ?
It is a ground lentil pudding made in various ways.
Some like to make it with condensed milk others with khoya or mawa.
Some even use jaggery instead of sugar. Such is the versatility of Indian cuisine.
Especially in winters. I had rather eat halva than soup to keep warm. However, I do need to watch sugar too so sometimes soup it is 🙁
Kids love this and so do elders. It is very filling and great for tiffin too.
Heat it just before you serve in a pan or microwave. You can even serve it with some fried poori.
Why is this a moong dal halwa easy recipe ? what makes it easy ?
Traditionally, moong dal halwa is made by grinding the soaked moong dal while its wet and cooking with it. Cooking a halwa from a wet moong dal is more tricky and takes more time, hence this is a easy recipe.
How to make this recipe ?
Wash the dal and dry it in the Sun for the whole day. Roast it for few minutes to remove any moisture. Powder it using a spice grinder.
Ingredients for moong dal halwa easy recipe
- Powdered moong dal
- Milk+water mix
- saffron strands in warm milk
- Chopped nuts for garnish.
- In a steel/non stick pan, dry roast the powdered moong dal on low flame for 10-15 minutes.
2. Add ¼ cup ghee and roast the moong dal.
3. Keep stirring and let it cook until it starts turning brown.
4. Now, Add the remaining ¼ cup ghee and continue cooking
5. After 5-10 minutes, add the warm milk water mixture and mix well.
6. Keep stirring until it is cooked on low flame.
7. As it starts to thicken, add sugar.
8. Keep stirring as it turns brown. Add the remaining ¼ cup ghee ,spoon by spoon while cooking.
10. Continue cooking, it will start getting more brown in color.
11. Once it starts coming together, ghee oozes out, that's when its ready. Garnish it with nuts as per choice.
Read the recipe of Instant Moong dal halwa below:
Moong dal halwa
- ½ cup moong dal
- ¾ cup ghee/clarified butter ¼ is used in the end while cooking
- 2 ½ cup milk water mix ½ cup milk +2 cups water
- ½ cup sugar add more as per taste
- 8-10 strands kesar/saffron strands
- 2 tablespoon Sliced nuts to garnish
- Wash the dal and dry it in the Sun for the whole day,powder it using a spice grinder.
- In a small bowl,add few strands of saffron and add 2 tablespoon cup warm milk to it.Keep it aside.
- In a steel pan/non stick pan , dry roast the moong dal on low flame for 10-15 minutes.
- Add ¼ cup ghee and roast the moong dal until it starts turning brown,add further ¼ cup ghee,continue cooking for further 5-10 minutes until its light brown.
- Add warm milk+water mixture with saffron+milk very slowly
- Keep stirring until it is cooked on low flame and add sugar.
- It will start turning thicker,add the remaining ¼ cup ghee ,spoon by spoon while cooking
- Once it starts coming together, it will start releasing the ghee,thats when its ready
- Garnish with sliced nuts.Serve warm
There are many different types of halwa recipes in India. We make it from fruits, veggies, flour, semolina and even lentils.
Click here to see more sweet recipes.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.