Moong dal halwa is a yum treat.It is a must for cold winters.You will find this a lot in weddings.However people find it difficult to make at home as it is tedious.This is an instant version.Most people love making gajar ka halwa at home.However,this halva is just as tasty to make.
This is the instant Moong dal halwa.Yes, you read it right.You can make the lentil halwa without soaking.
Both carrot & moong dal halwa are a must at weddings.Hence, the fandom.However,making this is much easier as you do not need to grate carrots. It is rich in protein as well.You also do not even need the red carrot from market too.The original recipe takes much longer time to cook.
What is moong dal halwa ?How to make moong dal halwa?
It is a ground lentil pudding made in various ways.
Some like to make it with condensed milk others with khoya or mawa.
Some even use jaggery instead of sugar.Such is the versatality of Indian cuisine.
However,this is the much easy version.We wash the yellow mung lentils in advance.Dry them in sun and powder them.Then just cook like normal wheat or sooji one even mid-week.
Especially in winters.I had rather eat halva than soup to keep warm.However,I do need to watch sugar too so sometimes soup it is 🙁
Kids love this and so do elders.It is very filling and great for tiffin too.
Heat it just before you serve in a pan or microwave.You can even serve it with some fried poori.
Ingredients for instant moong dal halwa
Washed and dried moong dal
Read the recipe of Instant Moong dal halwa below:
Moong dal halwa
- 1 cup moong dal
- 1-1/4 cup ghee/clarified butter 1/4 is used in the end while cooking
- 3 cup milk water mix 1.5 cup milk +1.5 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 8-10 strands kesar/saffron strands
- Sliced nuts to garnish
- Wash the dal and dry it in the Sun for the whole day,powder it using a spice grinder.
- In a small bowl,add few strands of saffron and add 1/4 cup warm milk to it.Keep it aside.
- In a cast iron pan/steel pan, dry roast the moong dal on low flame for 10-15 minutes.
- Add ghee and roast the moong dal until untill it starts turning brown.
- Now,Add warm milk water mixture and saffron very slowly
- Keep stirring until it is cooked on low flame and add remaining ingredients.
- It will start turning thicker,add the remaining 1/4 cup ghee ,spoon by spoon while cooking
- Once it starts coming together, thats when its ready
- Garnish with sliced nuts.Serve warm
Click here to see more sweet recipes.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.