Sooji ka halwa -semolina halwa is one of the easiest and most loved desserts.It is simple to cook and most kids love it.
You may call it by any name sooji jo sheero or sooji halwa in the north or rava kesari,rava halwa or rava sheera in the south or just sheera in western India.
Why is it so popular and when do we eat this?
Soft texture of halwa,ensures it is easy to chew for both aged and young.
Also,you can make it fast,if guests are coming at a short notice guests.
Usually we serve it as prasad on Satyanarayan Pooja during Poornima or Ekadashi.
We also serve it during the kanchake udyapan of ashtami/navmi Navratri vrat .
It is a great combination for breakfast with poori or fried flatbread.
You can also serve it with kala channa or aloo/potato curry.
You can make it during travel and carry it with you for train journeys.
Did you know Bollywood endorses it too? Remember the old song Aa gaya aa gaya halwa wala aa gaya! It is a good melody.
Click on the link below to see the video on how to make this pudding
Scroll below to see how to make Sooji ka halwa?
Read the recipe of Sooji ka halwa
Sooji ka halwa -semolina halwa
- ⅓ cup ghee or clarified butter/oil if vegan
- ½ cup sooji or semolina
- 1.5 cup milk+water mixture/water if vegan
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tsp elaichi or cardamom powder
- ¼ cup sliced almonds for garnish
- Heat the pan and dry roast semolina in it until slightly brown.
- Keep stirring so that it doesn't burn.
- Add ghee to this and mix well until brown.
- Add cardamom powder,sliced almonds.
- Now add the water+milk mixture & sugar.
- Stir continuously until you get a halwa like consistency.
- Garnish with more nuts as per your taste.
- Serve hot as a dessert or with poori fried flat bread,potato curry for breakfast.
You may also use plain water instead of milk water mixture.
Re-heat for 5 minutes with few drops of water to eat it next day.
Click here to see more Indian sweet recipes.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.