Sooji halva or suji halva is one of the easiest and simplest sweets ever made. It is very tasty and healthy as semolina is extracted during the durum wheat bran separation. Making sooji halwa/semolina pudding with jaggery makes it iron rich. You may make it with milk or plain water. Some people also call it gur ka halwa /gur da halwa in Punjab. You can make it with both sooji and wholemeal flour. I remember having it in by-lanes of Amritsar very close to the Golden temple. I love the gur version more as I like to use natural sugars wherever possible. However, if you would like to make sugar version ,click here.
When do we eat sooji ka halwa?
Usually, it is fed to small kids whose teeth are yet to grow. It is also a treat for those elders who are unable to chew. Whatever be the age we love this pudding. It tastes great whenever you make it. You will find its presence in feasts, fasts or during heavy brunches at weddings. You will find it as prasad in Satyanarayana Pooja. Hence, people make it every Sankranti or Poornima. We also make it during udyapan of Navratri fast twice an year and serve it along with poori and kale channe.
- Jaggery crushed so that there is no lumps
- Cardamom powder
Read the below instructions to make Suji halwa with jaggery
- Finely chop/crush the jaggery. Keep it aside.
- Dry roast the suji / semolina on low flame for 7-10 minutes.
3. Add the ghee to the semolina and mix well.
4. Keep on cooking until the mix turn light brown.
5. Add warm water/milk mixture.
6. Add jaggery and cook until dry.
Ready the recipe below for our Jaggery Halwa
Sooji halwa with jaggery recipe
- ¾ cup sooji/semolina
- ½ cup jaggery crushed so that there is no lumps
- ½ cup ghee
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1-¼ cup water warm water
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- Heat the milk and water in a seperate container and let it come to boil,keep it aside to be used in the recipe.
- Heat pan and roast semolina in the pan until it becomes light brown.
- Generally takes 10-15 mins.
- Now add ghee and cardamom powder to it and let it cook.
- Add the warm water,milk mixture to the recipe
- While pouring, keep your hand away from the pan to avoid getting scalded by steam.
- Add crushed jaggery to this mix and switch off the gas.
- You can also make sheera with sugar. Click here to see the recipe.
- Garnish sheero with nuts and raisins optionally. If you fry them in ghee or butter they taste even better. You can add cashews, almonds & pistachios. The goodness increases multi-fold. Dig in!
Store it in refrigerator. Heat whenever you wish to eat it.
Different types of halwa recipes
There are many different types of halwa recipes in India. We make it from fruits, veggies, flour, semolina and even lentils.
Click here to see more dessert recipes.
Also. click here to see more recipe videos.
M.G. Khan says
Thanks for sharing Suji Halwa recipe. Really easy to prepare.
Thanks for your comments