Sooji halwa(semolina pudding) or suji halwa is one of the easiest and simplest sweets ever made.It is very tasty and healthy as semolina is extracted during the durum wheat bran separation.It has low calories and yet great taste when cooked with jaggery or sugar along with milk or plain water.Usually,it is fed to small kids whose teeth are yet to grow or to elders who are unable to chew.Whatever be the age we love this pudding,as it tastes great when had during feasts,fasts or during heavy brunches/breakfasts at weddings.It has a pan Indian fan following and it is difficult for me to put across where this dish originated.Garnish this with cashews,raisins,almonds,pistachios and the goodness increases multi-fold.Dig in!
To read the recipe of Sooji halwa(Semolina pudding) scroll below:
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 1/2 cup sooji/rava/semolina
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup jaggery
- 1/2 tsp. cardamom powder
- 5 to 6 cashew nut/kaju, sliced
- 2 tbsp. raisins/kishmish optional
- Heat pan and add ghee.
- Roast the cashew nuts in ghee till they turn light brown.
- Take them off from the pan and set them aside.
- Add semolina in the pan.Roast till it starts to change color.
- Keep stirring the semolina continuously as it will get burnt otherwise.
- When it turns little brown add milk and water.
- While pouring, keep your hand away from the pan to avoid getting scalded by steam.
- Add jaggery with cardamom powder and mix it well.
- Add roasted cashews and raisins.
- Keep stirring till it reaches the desired consistency.
- It will will thicken a bit once cooked.
- Garnish it with more cashew nuts and raisins.
- This is best eaten warm.Serve it with Poori (fried indian bread)