Sookhe kale chane/Dry black chickpeas is my go to travel recipe. This kala chana recipe is very special. Traditionally, this recipe is made for Mahabhog on Ashtami / Mahanavami during Navratre. However, you can make this anytime you want. It cooks under 30 mins and is super tasty. Only you should remember to soak the chickpeas overnight. You can also boil & keep it overnight if not making for prasad.
Just toast spices n add the chickpeas. You are ready to go. This recipe is great with poori and some mango pickle. Have it any time u are going for a long road journey as well. If you get bored of dry sabji, make a ras wali tari or gravy. It is full of protein and most kids love the spicy kala chana. You can also eat it during moving car or train easily. Much better than having fried chips and cream biscuits. Egg-less, versatile and yet very tasty even after 24 hours. You can also make it vegan if you make it with coconut oil instead of ghee. Needs minimal spices and cooking.
- Black chickpeas soaked overnight and boiled (1-2 whistles)
- Ghee/oil if vegan
- Jeera /cumin powder
- Dhaniya /coriander powder
- Lal mirch/red chilly powder
- Amchur/dry mango powder
- Salt as per taste
how to make sookhe kale chane?
- Boil chickpeas with water and salt after soaking for 4-6 hours. Keep it aside.
2. Heat oil/ghee and add cumin to it. Let it splutter.
3. Add all spices and cook for few minutes.
4. Add chickpeas with water.Let it cook until the water the dries out.
Sookhe kale channe recipe
- Pressure cooker/ Instant pot for boiling chana
- frying pan
- 1 cup black chickpeas soaked overnight and boiled (1-2 whistles)
- 2 tablespoon ghee/oil if vegan
- 1 tablespoon Jeera /cumin powder
- 2 tablespoon dhaniya /coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon lal mirch/red chilly powder or as per taste
- 1 tablespoon Amchur/dry mango powder
- Salt as per taste
- Soak chickpeas for 4-6 hours overnight.
For pressure cooking in instant pot
- You can also use the pressure cook option for 10 mins on high pressure. Let it release automatically.
For pressure cooker on gas/induction
- Cook with 2 cups of water and 1 teaspoon salt in a pressure cooker for 3-4 whistles.
- In a frying pan, add ghee/oil. Add all spices except salt. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the boiled chickpeas with remaining water and salt.
- Cover it and let it cook for 15 minutes.
- Let it cook without the lid until the water has evaporated.
- While they are cooking, they might look to have less masala, but once the water evaporates, masala will be enough to cover all chickpeas.
Store the sabzi in refrigerator. Heat before serving it.
Use the remaining packet to make ras wali sabji or suran and chane ki sabji. You can also make baked chana jor garam. You can also have it with bread. If going gluten-free, add some puffed rice & salsa. Yummy chaat is ready!
Navratri pooja can never be complete without halwa.
Click here to see our top 10 Navratri fasting recipes.
You can click here to read more curry recipes.
Click here to watch more recipe videos from our youtube channel Secondrecipe.