Til Patti or sesame brittle is an easy sweet. Most people call it til gur patti or til ki chikki or gud til chikki.It is very easily available in market .However,I feel fresh home made sweets are always better. This is eaten during Makar Sankranti festival. Sindhi community also prepares it at Diwali and we call it lai. Some people also call it til gajak , tilpatti or gur patti. This gajak recipe can also be made vegan by replacing ghee with oil.
What is Sankranti?
Sankranti is a harvest festival.We also call it as Pedda panduga, Lohri, Uttarayan and Magh Bihu. People worship the Sun for its role in our life. On this day, people take a bath with sesame seed oil. Kite flying competitions, bonfires and fairs are all a part of this festival. We also celebrate this festival with great food. Murmura laddu, Til Ladoo, Til mawa barfi , rewadi / rewari and gur gachak recipe are all eaten at this time.
Why is sesame eaten?
Sesame keeps the body warm and provides essential Vitamin E to avoid dryness of skin. Indian rituals largely follow Ayurveda. Each festival has food according to the weather conditions. In winter, it gets quite cold in most parts of India. In olden days, we didn't have heaters. People believed in more in natural ways of keeping the body warm. Hence, they would increase immunity against cold,flu and infections. People also consumed foods made with jaggery, ghee and sesame in their diet.Most people know this sweet as 'Lonavala chikki' now. They do not forget to buy it while in the Lonavala-Khandala region.
- sesame seeds
- ghee / coconut oil if vegan
- coconut sugar / palm sugar/ jaggery/ gur
- cardamom powder
- Frying pan
- Baking sheet / parchment paper optional
- Baking tray
Read the below steps to see how to make til patti.
Roast the sesame seeds in a pan for few minutes. Keep it aside.
2. Start cooking jaggery with little oil/ghee in the pan on low flame
3. In bowl of cold water,add a drop of jaggery to check if it is brittle and solidifies.
4. Now, add cardamom powder,sesame seeds and mix well.
5. Once it has mixed,switch off the flame.
6. Spread mix on baking paper or a greased tray.Press evenly. Draw incisions.Break into desired shapes.
Til patti recipe
- frying pan
- baking tray
- Baking paper or parchment paper
- 1 cup sesame seeds or til
- ½ cup jaggery /natural cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- Dry roast sesame seeds for 10 mins on a low flame.Keep it aside.
- In a pan, add ghee or oil, and chopped jaggery. Let it cook on low flame until it melts.
- In bowl of water,add a drop of jaggery to check if it is brittle and solidifies.
- Now, add cardamom powder,sesame seeds and mix well.Switch off flame.
- Spread mix on baking paper or a greased tray.Press evenly.
- Draw incisions.Break into desired shapes.
- Store in a dry jar. Serve fresh.
You can also make til chikki recipe with sugar, just start cooking sugar on low flame, as soon as the sugar is melted you can add the til/sesame seeds. With sugar, you need not check whether its cooked or not like the way we do for jaggery.
lick here to see more chikki recipes
Black is better since its with the skin that has benefits
It improves hair and skin. Helps lower blood pressure and combats arthritis pain.
For white sesame seed, black seed is a good substitite and vice versa.Else Hemp seeds are a good substitite as well with similar tate. Other substitutes include sunflower or flax seeds.