Peanut Chikki is a popular Indian sweet.Most westerners call it groundnut or peanut brittle.
Most people know it as the Lonavala chikki.Made very popular by the pit-stop joints while travelling from Mumbai to Pune. Ghats of Lonavala and Khandala and some chikki for munching.Perfect timepass.
Some people call it shing chikki/shengdana chikki or palli chikki/palli patti.
Peanut chikki recipe with jaggery/gur ki patti is actually a traditional candy .
You can make it with sugar also.
It is also a traditional Diwali sweet,in Sindhi households.We make a wide variety of chikki(lai).There are different types of chikki.Some common ones are til patti or sesame chikki,coconut chikki,puffed rice or murmura brittle,chana dal or bengal gram brittle or mix dry fruits (varo).
Many communities like Marathi,Gujarati ,Punjabi make it in winter.It is easy.It also needs very little cooking,hence is very popular.You can store it at room temperature in dry jar.Kids love it and so do elders.
You can also make the vegan version by using oil.Use jaggery or gud to provide natural sweetness in the brittle.Some people make peanut chikki recipe with sugar.However,jaggery version is healthier alternative to sugar one.
It also helps improve immunity naturally.It is heat inducing and helps you fight cold when winter sets in.If you like,you can use the same amount of sugar to make it.Usually Gujarati or Kolhapuri jaggery is used to make the sweet.
Note: Please check with your doctor in case of any concerns or ailments.
To watch the peanut chikki recipe with jaggery video click below:
Scroll down to read the peanut chikki recipe with jaggery
- 1 cup peanuts/groundnuts without skin
- ½ cup jaggery
- 1 tbsp ghee or clarified butter You can use oil/vegan butter for vegan version
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- Pulse peanuts in a food processor to coarsely chop it.
- Dry roast crushed peanuts for 5 mins.
- Remove the peanuts.Keep it aside.
- Add ghee,jaggery. Mix on low flame.
- In bowl of water,add a drop of jaggery to check if it is brittle.
- Add cardamom,peanuts,switch off flame.Mix well.
- Spread mix on baking paper or a greased tray.Press evenly.
- Draw incisions.Break into desired shapes.
- Store in a dry jar.Serve fresh.
click video for more recipe videos