Peanut Chikki with jaggery is a popular Indian sweet.Most westerners call it groundnut or peanut brittle. Most people know it as the Lonavala chikki recipe. Made very popular by the pit-stop joints while travelling from Mumbai to Pune. Ghats of Lonavala and Khandala and some praline for munching. Perfect timepass.
Some people call it singdana chiki / shengdana chikki or palli chikki / palli patti.Most people have eaten packets of maganlal chikki in mumbai and pune sold across all kirana stores.
It is also a traditional Diwali sweet,in Sindhi households. We make a wide variety of homemade chikki (lai).There are different types of chikki. Some common ones are til patti or sesame chikki, coconut chikki, puffed rice or murmura brittle, chana dal or bengal gram brittle or mix dry fruits (varo).Many communities like Marathi,Gujarati ,Punjabi make it in winter.It is easy.It also needs very little cooking,hence is very popular.You can store it at room temperature in dry jar.Kids love it and so do elders.
It also helps improve immunity naturally.It is heat inducing and helps you fight cold when winter sets in.If you like,you can use the same amount of sugar to make it.Usually Gujarati or Kolhapuri jaggery is used to make the sweet.
- jaggery (you may use kohlapuri jaggery (light in colour) or the desi jaggery (dark in color), the color of the chikki will change based on the jaggery used. You can also combine 50% of each.
- cardamom powder
How to make chikki?
- Take blanched peanuts and coarsely grind them.
- Dry roast peanuts few minutes. Keep it aside.
- In a pan, heat ghee and add jaggery to it. Cook the jaggery on slow flame.
- Add cardamom powder and keep stirring constantly until it dissolves completely.
- Drop few droplets of jaggery in water to see if it crystalizes. Once it hardens ,it is ready to make chikki.
- Add the roasted peanuts to jaggery syrup.
- Mix it well and roll it on a sheet after covering with baking sheet.
- Make incisions and cut roasted chikkee into pieces once it cools down.
Other peanut & chikki recipes
Looking for more chikki recipes ? Click on links below
Homemade chikki recipe
- frying pan
- baking sheet
- 1 cup peanuts/groundnuts without skin
- ¾ cup jaggery
- 1 tablespoon ghee or clarified butter You can use oil/vegan butter for vegan version
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- Pulse peanuts in a food processor to coarsely chop it.
- Dry roast crushed peanuts for 5 mins.
- Remove the peanuts.Keep it aside.
- Add ghee,jaggery. Mix on low flame.
- In bowl of water,add a drop of jaggery to check if it is brittle.
- Add cardamom,peanuts,switch off flame.Mix well.
- Spread mix on baking paper or a greased tray.Press evenly.
- Draw incisions.Break into desired shapes.
- Store in a dry jar.Serve fresh.
how to make peanut chikki? click below for video:
This gur ki patti is actually a traditional candy. You can make it with sugar also. Although traditionally, we use a spoonful of ghee but you can make it vegan by using any vegetable oil or coconut oil. Use jaggery or gud to provide natural sweetness in the brittle. You may use coconut sugar if you do not have jaggery.
Store it in an air tight container at room temperature.
click video for more recipe videos