Veg korma is one of the best takeaways. After all, butter chicken and saag chana, Indian vegetable korma stands out in takeaway curry recipes. You will find it the most in packaged foods after chana masala and palak paneer. Just like Kerala does too in tourist destination. Most people visit it for its wonderful cuisine and calming backwaters. You will find honeymooners, yogis and even people visiting it for some peace. It is a wonder for tourists. Be it local domestic or international travelers. Hence, you can find all kinds of variety in food. It has always been known as spice heaven and coffee gardens.
Food is delicious in Kerala. Be it meat, fish, vegetarian or vegan. Yoga, Ayurveda give back a lot to community. Thus, you can enjoy varied cuisine in Kerala. The alluring backwaters can calm like no other. However, the real steal is the food.
What does Korma taste like?
Veg Kurma recipe is very mild in spices. Hence, you will find it slightly sweet. You can enjoy this with fried poori. It also works great with Malabar parota or the Kerala parotta. It is a great change from all the spicy food. Some light vegetable curry like avial ,thoran and rice is all you need for a yummy menu. Most non-veg curries are extremely spicy in South Indian cuisine. However, this is a great stew. It is perfect for a sick tummy. End your meal with a delicious creamy payasam or a coconut burfi and sleep well. While seviyan kheer is dairy based, coconut burfi can be made vegan.
What is korma sauce made of?
- garam masala
- turmeric powder
- paprika powder
- small can of coconut milk 165ml
- chickpea flour (or lentil flour to thicken gravy)
Ingredients for vegetable korma
- ginger chilli
- red green Capsicum(½)
- cauliflower or brocolli -Saute in a pan or steam it
Instructions for Korma vegetables
1.Saute hard vegetables(broccoli, beans, carrots) in oil for 7-8 minutes
2. Add rest of the soft vegetables(capsicum, zucchini) and sauté for 5 minutes. Keep it aside
Instructions for easy korma curry
- Heat oil in a pan. Add onions, ginger and chili and sauté for 5 mins.
2. Add chopped tomatoes and let it cook until it soften.
3. Add salt and spices. Continue to cook over medium heat.
4. Once cooked, add coconut milk and stir. Turn off the heat.
5.Blend and strain the mix through a sieve. Bring the curry base to boil with ½ cup water.
6. Add the semi cooked vegetables and cook for 10-12 minutes.
7. Serve easy vegetable korma curry hot with steamed rice or flatbread.
You may add coconut milk instead of coconut cream.
Store it in refrigerator unto 2 days, although I feel eating fresh is best. Always heat the leftovers.
Veg korma recipe
Vegetables for Kurma
- ½ red capsicum
- ½ green capsicum
- 3 tomatoes medium
- ½ cup beans
- ½ cauliflower (boiled in water for 5 mins)
For korma sauce
- 1 onion small
- 1 tablespoon ginger-chilli paste
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder / red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoon curry powder If you are not using the above spices
- 165 ml coconut milk small can
- ½ cup water adjust as per your liking
- Salt as per taste The recipe is on sweeter side, hence do not add too much salt.
- Saute hard vegetables in oil for 7-8 minutes
- Add rest of the vegetables and saute for 5 minutes,keep it aside
- Heat oil in a pan. Add onions, ginger and chillies and sauté for 5 mins.
- Add chopped tomatoes and let it cook until it soften.
- Add salt and spices,continue to cook
- Once cooked,add coconut milk,turn off the heat
- Blend and strain the mix through a Sieve.
- Bring the curry base to boil with ½ cup water
- Add the semi cooked vegetables and let it simmer for 10-12 minutes
- Serve hot with steamed rice or flatbread.
No, it is mild in spices.
MIxed vegetables in coconut paste.