Baingan ka bharta or baigan bharta is a traditional Punjabi dish. It is a fabulous way of cooking large eggplant. Eggplants or brinjals are a great part of vegetarian cuisine, all across the world. Indian eggplant comes in 4 varieties. Large globe variety, long/round squat purple one ,purple and white mixed round ones and green apple brinjal. Large globe ones are used for bharta and fried bhaja or taryal vangan, while smaller ones are used for curries. Traditionally, we roast eggplants on coal. Nowadays, even roasting on modern stove or air fryer/oven gives you the charred flavor. We then cook it with mashed tomatoes, onions and green peas. In Gujarat, Kathiyawadi cuisine also has this in the menu by the name, ringna no olo.
Allergy advice: Pregnant women should avoid brinjals and in case of allergies, always consult with your medical practitioner before using eggplants. Some people might get a throat itch or burning sensation after eating them. I have loved aubergines as they used to grow in my garden. Sometime back I had developed a tummy ache when I ate them. This made me miss them for quite a few years. Now, I am relishing these curries again.I realized I was having them with some dairy based curries or kadhi and it was giving me a tummy ache. Slowly, I was able to eat them again. Now, I just avoid yogurt and other dairy whenever I have eggplants. Thankfully, I am good now.
Why is eggplant good for you?
- Eggplant has antioxidants like vitamins A and C.
- They are low in calories.
- Cooked brinjals reduce LDL and risk of fatty liver disease.
- They are also called as brain boosters.
how to make baingan bharta without roasting?
Remove the skin with a knife or just peel it after removing the head. Follow the remaining steps as it is. You may make it faster but one does miss the charred flavor.
how to make baingan bharta on electric stove?
Directly place the brinjal on the gas stove. Keep your chimney on. You do not want to trouble the firefighters if you live abroad. Keep turning once the flame chars the skin. As soon as the eggplant is grilled from all the sides, you can see the juices come out. Peel the skin and let them rest. Yes, the gas cook-top or oven does get messy but the every morsel of this dish is worth that cleaning effort. It is immensely popular in restaurants and yet very simple to cook.
what to eat with baingan bharta?
We eat this curry with Tandoori Roti .Naan or Afghani bread also goes well with it. Serve it with white butter on top for that dhaba flavor if you are a vegetarian. Add some salad and jaggery on the side. You can just serve it with roti and tadka dal if vegan.
- Large brinjal or egg plants
- Mustard oil
- Cumin seeds
- Green chilly-ginger-garlic paste
- Red chilly powder
- Salt as per taste
- Chopped coriander for garnish.
Some people also like to add fresh peas in the end.
How to make baingan ka bharta?
- Grill the brinjals on flame until it is charred from all sides.
- Once it is cool remove the skin and cut the top off.
3. Sauté the onions in hot oil and add the spices. 4. Add the tomatoes and cook until it soften 5. Mash the eggplants with a potato masher. 6. Add the eggplant to the curry and cook until you get a thick mash. 7. Serve hot with roti.
Read the recipe here
Baingan Bharta recipe
- sauce pan
- potato masher for mashing if you do not want to squeeze it by hands.
- 2 large brinjal or egg plants
- 3 tablespoon oil 1 tablespoon mustard oil if possible, for the rustic taste
- 3 medium tomatoes
- Handful Chopped coriander for garnish
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon green chilly chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon red chilly powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Roast on the eggplant on gas stove till the outer skin gets burnt.
- Keep it aside to cool a bit and remove the burnt skin.
- Cut the top off,mash the remaining brinjal.
- In a pan, add oil and add cumin,green chillies,garlic & ginger.
- Now, add onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add tomatoes and cook until soft.
- Add all the spices with little(2 tablespoon) water.
- Once the onion & tomato mix has been cooked,add the mashed eggplant
- Cook for 5-10 minutes,garnish with coriander.
- Serve hot with flat bread.
Kesar da dhaba, Amritsar serves a great plate of this dish. You can never forget that taste. It is a must visit when you are in Punjab. Bhagat Tarachand and Guru da dhaba,Lokhandwala also serve an amazing bharta.
What are your favorite brinjal recipes?
Other Indian eggplant recipes I have enjoyed are the South Indian style brinjal chutney, gutti vankaya or stuffed brinjal curry, Odia baingan bhaja/ Sindhi tariyal vangan. Simple baingan aloo or easy eggplant curry saves the day when you want an easy weekday dinner. Some people also add eggplants to pav bhaji and Sindhi kadhi.You can also find a similar eggplant recipe in Mediterranean cuisine, baba ghanoush. You can enjoy this variation with hummus, falafel and pita bread.
Click here to watch more easy curry videos.