‘Baingan ka bharta’ is a traditional Punjabi dish.It is a fabulous way of cooking eggplant.Large aubergines are a great part of vegetarian cuisine all across the world. Traditionally,we roast eggplants on coal.Nowadays even roasting on modern stove gives you the charred flavour.We then cook it with mashed tomatoes, onions and green peas.In Gujarat,Kathiyawadi cuisine also has this in the menu by the name, Ringna No Olo.Kesar da dhaba serves one of the best plates of this yummy curry.
These days people roast the vegetables on the gas stove to get a similar flavour. Yes, the gas cooktop or oven does get messy but the every morsel of this dish is worth that cleaning effort.It is immensely popular in restaurants and yet very simple to cook.
How to serve it?
We eat this curry with Tandoori Roti or Naan.Serve it with white butter,salad and jaggery.
You can just serve it with some roti,dal if vegan.
Serve this at home for a Sunday meal with ‘dal makhni’ and some boondi ‘Raita’.It wins hearts hands down.
A ‘papad’ or poppadum along with some ‘kheer’ or ‘gajar ka halwa’ in dessert will complete your menu.
Note: Pregnant women should avoid brinjals.Also in case of allergies,please consult with your medical practitioner before using aubergines.
Scroll below to learn how to make baingan ka bharta :
- 1 large brinjal or egg plant
- 1 large onion
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 cup green peas
- For tempering
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 green chilly
- 4-5 pods of garlic crushed (optional)
- few curry leaves (optional)
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp red chilly powder
- 3 tbsp oil
- Apply some oil on the brinjal and let it roast on the gas stove till the outer skin gets peeled and juices come out.Keep it aside to cool a bit and remove the burnt skin.
- Mash the remaining brinjal.
- In a pan, add oil and add cumin,green chillies,garlic and curry leaves.
- Add a pinch of asafoetida
- Saute' onions and tomatoes
- Add green peas and brinjal.
- Add remaining spices and cook for 5-10 mins
- Serve hot with flat bread or rice.
Click here to watch more easy curry videos from our Youtube channel.