Baingan ka bharta or baigan bharta is a traditional Punjabi dish. It is a fabulous way of cooking large eggplant. Eggplants are a great part of vegetarian cuisine, all across the world. Traditionally, we roast eggplants on coal. Nowadays even roasting on modern stove gives you the charred flavor. We then cook it with mashed tomatoes, onions and green peas. In Gujarat, Kathiyawadi cuisine also has this in the menu by the name, Ringna No Olo. Other Indian eggplant recipes are brinjal chutney, gutti vankaya or stuffed brinjal curry,baingan bhaja/tariyal vangan. Simple baingan aloo saves the day when you want an easy weekday dinner.
Why is eggplant good for you?
How do you roast brinjal for Bharta on gas?
Directly place the brinjal on the gas stove. Keep your chimney on. You do not want to trouble the firefighters if you live abroad. Keep turning once the flame chars the skin. As soon as the eggplant is grilled from all the sides, you can see the juices come out. Peel the skin and let them rest. Yes, the gas cook-top or oven does get messy but the every morsel of this dish is worth that cleaning effort. It is immensely popular in restaurants and yet very simple to cook.
How to serve it?
We eat this curry with Tandoori Roti .Naan or Afghani bread also goes well with it. Serve it with white butter on top for that dhaba flavor. Add some salad and jaggery on the side. You can just serve it with roti and tadka dal if vegan.
Travel tip: Kesar da dhaba, Amritsar serves a great plate of this dish. You can never forget that taste. It is a must visit when you are in Punjab.
Note: Pregnant women should avoid brinjals. Also in case of allergies, please consult with your medical practitioner before using eggplants.
Step by step pictures for making the baingan ka bharta recipe
- Grill the brinjals on flame until it is charred from all sides.
- Once it is cool remove the skin and cut the top off.
3. Sauté the onions in hot oil and add the spices.
4. Add the tomatoes and cook until it soften
5. Mash the eggplants with a potato masher.
6. Add the eggplant to the curry and cook until you get a thick mash.
7. Serve hot with roti.
How to make baingan ka bharta ?
Baingan ka Bharta
- sauce pan
- potato masher for mashing if you do not want to squeeze it by hands.
- 2 large brinjal or egg plants
- 3 tbsp. oil 1 tbsp. mustard oil if possible, for the rustic taste
- 3 medium tomatoes
- Handful Chopped coriander for garnish
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp. green chilly chopped
- 1 tbsp. ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp. red chilly powder
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- Roast on the eggplant on gas stove till the outer skin gets burnt.
- Keep it aside to cool a bit and remove the burnt skin.
- Cut the top off,mash the remaining brinjal.
- In a pan, add oil and add cumin,green chillies,garlic & ginger.
- Now, add onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add tomatoes and cook until soft.
- Add all the spices with little(2 tbsp) water.
- Once the onion & tomato mix has been cooked,add the mashed eggplant
- Cook for 5-10 minutes,garnish with coriander.
- Serve hot with flat bread.
Click here to watch more easy curry videos.