'Baingan ka bharta' /baigan bharta is a traditional Punjabi dish.It is a fabulous way of cooking eggplant.Large aubergines are a great part of vegetarian cuisine all across the world. Traditionally,we roast eggplants on coal.Nowadays even roasting on modern stove gives you the charred flavour.We then cook it with mashed tomatoes, onions and green peas.In Gujarat,Kathiyawadi cuisine also has this in the menu by the name, Ringna No Olo.Kesar da dhaba serves one of the best plates of this yummy curry.Other Indian eggplant recipes are brinjal chutney, gutti vankaya/stuffed brinjal curry,baingan bhaja/tariyal vangan.
Why is eggplant good for you?
How do you roast brinjal for Bharta on gas?
Directly place the brinjal on the gas stove.Keep turning once the flame chars the skin.As soon as the eggplant is grilled from all the sides,you can see the juices come out.Peel the skin and let them rest.
Yes, the gas cook-top or oven does get messy but the every morsel of this dish is worth that cleaning effort.
It is immensely popular in restaurants and yet very simple to cook.
How to serve it?
We eat this curry with Tandoori Roti or Naan.Serve it with white butter,salad and jaggery.
You can just serve it with some roti,dal if vegan.
Serve this at home for a Sunday meal with 'dal makhni' and some boondi 'Raita'.It wins hearts hands down.
Note: Pregnant women should avoid brinjals.Also in case of allergies,please consult with your medical practitioner before using aubergines.
Step by step pictures for making the baingan ka bharta recipe
How to make baingan ka bharta ?
Baingan ka Bharta
- 2 large brinjal or egg plants
- 3 tbsp oil 1 tbsp mustard oil if possible, for the rustic taste
- 2 medium onions
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 green chilly
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. red chilly powder
- 3 medium tomatoes
- Coriander for garnish
- Roast on the eggplant on gas stove till the outer skin gets burnt.
- Keep it aside to cool a bit and remove the burnt skin.
- Cut the top off,mash the remaining brinjal.
- In a pan, add oil and add cumin,green chillies,garlic & ginger.
- Add onion and saute until translucent.
- Add tomatoes and cook until soft.
- Add all the spices with little(2 tbsp) water.
- Once the onion & tomato mix has been cooked,add the mashed eggplant
- Cook for 5-10 minutes,garnish with coriander.
- Serve hot with flat bread.
Click here to read more curry recipes.
Click here to watch more easy curry videos from our Youtube channel.