Baingan ka bharta or baigan bharta is a traditional North Indian dish. It is a fabulous way of cooking large eggplant. Eggplants or brinjals are a great part of vegetarian cuisine, all across the world. Indian eggplant comes in 4 varieties. Large globe variety, long/round squat purple one ,purple and white mixed round ones and green apple brinjal. Large globe ones are used for bharta and fried bhaja or taryal vangan, while smaller ones are used for curries.
Traditionally, we roast eggplants on coal. When we roast on modern gas stove it is usually messy and also makes cleaning a big chore later. Hence, I like roasting eggplant in air fryer for bharta. It gives you the charred and smoky flavor yet you are saved from the cleanup. We then cook it with mashed tomatoes, onions and green peas. In Gujarat, kathiyawadi ringna no olo is a similar preparation. Olo recipe is served with bajra rotla and a piece of gur or jaggery to beat the winter cold.
- Why is eggplant good for you?
- how to make baingan bharta without roasting?
- How do you roast a baingan on gas?
- what to eat with baingan bharta?
- How to roast egglplant in air fryer ?
- How to roast baingan gas stove ?
- How to make baingan ka bharta?
- Related links
- Baingan Bharta recipe | air fryer baingan bharta recipe
- Travel tip
- What are your favorite brinjal recipes?
- Food safety
Allergy advice: Pregnant women should avoid brinjals and in case of allergies, always consult with your medical practitioner before using eggplants. Some people might get a throat itch or burning sensation after eating them. I have loved aubergines as they used to grow in my garden.
Sometime back I had developed a tummy ache when I ate them. This made me miss them for quite a few years. Now, I am relishing these curries again.I realized I was having them with some dairy based curries or kadhi and it was giving me a tummy ache. Slowly, I was able to eat them again. Now, I just avoid yogurt and other dairy whenever I have eggplants. Thankfully, I am good now.
Why is eggplant good for you?
- Eggplant has antioxidants like vitamins A and C.
- They are low in calories.
- Cooked brinjals reduce LDL and risk of fatty liver disease.
- They are also called as brain boosters.
how to make baingan bharta without roasting?
Steam the eggplants until they are soft and remove the skin with a knife or just peel it after removing the head. Follow the remaining steps as it is. You may make it faster but one does miss the charred flavor.
How do you roast a baingan on gas?
Directly place the brinjal on the gas stove. Keep your chimney on. You do not want to trouble the firefighters if you live abroad. Keep turning once the flame chars the skin. As soon as the eggplant is grilled from all the sides, you can see the juices come out. Peel the skin and let them rest. Yes, the gas cook-top does get messy but the every morsel of this dish is worth that cleaning effort. It is immensely popular in restaurants and yet very simple to cook.
Do not despair, you can make baingan bharta in oven too if you have an induction at home.
what to eat with baingan bharta?
We eat this curry with Tandoori Roti .Naan or Afghani bread also goes well with it. Serve it with white butter on top for that dhaba flavor if you are a vegetarian. Add some salad and jaggery on the side. You can just serve it with instant pot matar paneer, roti and tadka dal if vegan. You can also serve it with rice if gluten free.
- Large brinjal or egg plants
- Mustard oil
- Cumin seeds
- Green chilly-ginger-garlic paste
- Red chili powder
- Salt as per taste
- Chopped coriander for garnish.
Some people also like to add fresh peas in the end.
How to roast egglplant in air fryer ?
You can make baingan ka bharta in air fryer by roasting the eggplant in the air fryer.
- Slice the eggplant from middle to split into 2 pieces. Further make incisions and brush with mustard oil / vegetable
2. In a preheated air fryer (5 mins at 180C), cook for 15-16 minutes
3. Scoop the eggplant flesh using a spoon, leaving the skin aside
How to roast baingan gas stove ?
- Grill the brinjals on flame until it is charred from all sides.
- Once it is cool remove the skin and cut the top off.
How to make baingan ka bharta?
3. Sauté the onions in hot oil and add the spices.
4. Add the tomatoes and cook until it soften
5. Mash the eggplants with a potato masher.
6. Add the eggplant to the curry and cook until you get a thick mash.
7. Serve hot with roti.
Add an extra tempering of crushed garlic cloves and chopped green chili if you want to increase the heat.
Baingan Bharta recipe | air fryer baingan bharta recipe
- sauce pan
- potato masher (for mashing if you do not want to squeeze it by hands.)
- Air fryer/oven / gas stove for traditional
- 2 large brinjal or egg plants
- 3 tbsp. oil 1 tbsp. mustard oil if possible, for the rustic taste
- 3 medium tomatoes
- Handful Chopped coriander for garnish
How to roast eggplants on stove?
- Roast on the eggplant on gas stove till the outer skin gets burnt.
- Keep it aside to cool a bit and remove the burnt skin.
- Cut the top off,mash the remaining brinjal.
How to air fry eggplants in an air fryer
- Preheat the air fryer for 5 mins at 180 deg C.
- Slice the eggplant from middle to split into 2 pieces. Further make incisions and brush with mustard oil or vegetable oil.
- Air fry the eggplants for 15-16 mins after smearing oil on it
- Scoop the eggplant flesh using a spoon, leaving the skin aside
How to cook baingan ka bharta ?
- In a pan, add oil and add cumin,green chillies,garlic & ginger.
- Now, add onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add tomatoes and cook until soft.
- Add all the spices with little(2 tbsp) water.
- Once the onion & tomato mix has been cooked,add the mashed eggplant
- Cook for 5-10 minutes,garnish with coriander.
- Serve hot with tandoori roti.
Kesar da dhaba, Amritsar serves a great plate of this dish. You can never forget that taste. It is a must visit when you are in Punjab. Bhagat Tarachand and Guru da dhaba,Lokhandwala also serve an amazing bharta.
What are your favorite brinjal recipes?
Other Indian eggplant recipes I have enjoyed are the South Indian style brinjal chutney, gutti vankaya or stuffed brinjal curry, Odia baingan bhaja/ Sindhi tariyal vangan. Simple baingan aloo or easy eggplant curry saves the day when you want an easy weekday dinner. Some people also add eggplants to pav bhaji and Sindhi kadhi. You can also find a similar eggplant recipe in Mediterranean cuisine, baba ghanoush. You can enjoy this variation with hummus, falafel and pita bread.
Click here to watch more easy curry videos.
For bharta you need whole eggplant, so it is advisable you check for cuts and holes which may indicate a presence of worms. If any hole or cut is present, do not use it for mash.
Yes it is good for weight loss. Just ensure you use less oil when you cook. It is rich in folates and helps prevent anaemia.
Yes as it is quite low in calories.
Yes air fryer eggplant is a mess-free way of making eggplant bharta.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove.