Avial or aviyal is synonymous with Kerala cuisine.
It is a coconut based mixed vegetable curry and a signature dish of Kerala cuisine.Yummy,nutritious and gluten-free.
Avial vegetables are those which are available locally.You can cook yam,potatoes,brinjals,carrots,beans together.Later,mix coconut paste and yogurt to give it a nutty flavor.Serve it dry or as a gravy dish.It is such a delicate dish.If you reheat this, it loses the charm.It has to be prepared fresh and eaten right away.
You may also make it vegan.Replace curd with lemon juice.You may also add coconut curd.
You may add any vegetables of your choice and available at home.
The lightness and taste of this curry will surprise you.Simple and fulfilling healthy yet not over the top curry.It is quite a change from all spicy sambhars and rasams you associate with South Indian cuisine.
What is Avial eaten with?
We eat it with rice or roti.
This avial curry is very light and delicately spiced.
Traditionally,we eat it with adai or pancakes.
We traditionally eat it during 'Sadya' and enjoy it with appam.
Also, serve it at a wedding meal.
Who invented avial?
Aviyal recipe has a mention in Mahabharata.Ballava or Prince Bheem invented it during the 'Agyatavasa' exile.He was appointed as a chef in King Virata's palace.However, he did not know what to cook.Hence, mixed all the vegetables together and invented this yummy dish.
Avial recipe also has a mention in ancient Sangam poems.
How to make avial? step-by-step pictures
1.Boil hard vegetables in water with turmeric and salt until semi cooked
2.Add soft vegetables and cook for few minutes
3.Add the coconut,cumin,chilly paste,cook for few minutes
4.Mix and add the tempering,turn off the heat,add yogurt.
Scroll below to read Avial recipe
- 1/2 cup carrots cut length wise
- 1/2 cup chopped elephant yam/potato
- 1/2 cup drumsticks/moringa peeled and cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped zucchini/okra/any vegetable
- 1/2 cup beans optional
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt as per taste
- 2 cup water
- 2 tbsp curd or yogurt
- Replace curd with lemon juice or coconut curd if you want to make it vegan
For coconut paste:
- 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
- green chilly
- 3/4 th cup freshly grated coconut use 1/4 cup coconut milk if using dry coconut
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Few curry leaves
- Boil water with salt and turmeric in a pan.
- Add all the chopped vegetables along with salt.
- Boil the hard vegetables first, then the softer ones.
- Cook until soft.
- Make sure you do not overcook the vegetables.
- Mix the cooked vegetables with coconut paste.
- Heat oil in a pan for tempering. add mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add to above vegetables.
- Turn off the heat and add curd after 5 mins.
- Serve fresh with rice or malabar parota.
Instead of yogurt, you can use coconut milk or coconut curd.If you like it sour,add a dash of lime while serving.
You cannot boil this curry as then curd,veggies and water will separate.Hence have it fresh or reheat to a minimum.
Click here for additional recipe videos.
Also, click here for more south Indian recipes.