Nariyal burfi /coconut burfi or coconut fudge is one of the easiest sweets one can make at home. Minimal ingredients yet maximum taste. Coconut burfi is simple fudge. You can make this quick sweet anytime you want to have something sweet. It is kid friendly and easy treat for pregnant women. You can also make this for travel and for any party a day earlier. To make an instant version add khoya/milk powder/rabri or condensed milk and adjust the sugar accordingly. You can also make it with frozen, desiccated coconut or coconut flour if you like.
Tip: It is also a great way to use the coconuts you receive during pooja or havan. This can also be consumed during Navratri/Navratre vrat.
Nariyal Barfi and coconut nostalgia
I have been blessed to have a huge garden growing up. Living in a township with greenery around you has been such a fortune. You only realize it when you move out of town and venture out to big cities. Coconuts in South India are plenty. They line along the coast even if you do not have a garden. Thus, the use of coconuts too. You can drink the coconut water and see best things happen for your skin. Nothing hydrates as much as the water. Eat the pulp and enjoy the fruit even as an ice-cream. Add it to curries, rice and sweets for that crunchy texture. Use the oil for cooking, skin and hair care. Use the leaves for thatching. Make brooms out of sticks and scrubbers, ropes out of husks.
One tree but a gift of heaven I say!
This recipe is my mum's and I can finish a whole tray in a single sitting just pondering over newspaper. She always makes this for us and it has quite a fan-following in all our relatives. Something this yummy can never ever go wrong! You can also make a vegan coconut chikki or laddoo using jaggery and it tastes super awesome. If you have less time on hand, you can make condensed milk barfi, or make thengai burfi with khoya. This speeds up the cook time.
Steps for coconut barfi
- In a pan, add the grated coconut, cardamom and milk and let it cook.
3. Add sugar and continue stirring.
5. Transfer the mix to a tray lined with baking sheet or greased tray. Allow to set for few hours in refrigerator.
how to make coconut burfi
- 200 grams grated coconut
- 3 cup full-cream milk
- 2 tsp cardamom
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp chopped pistachios optional
- In a pan,add the grated coconut,cardamom and milk and let it cook.
- Keep on scraping the mix from the bottom and sides. Cook until the milk evaporates.
- Add sugar and continue stirring.
- Turn off the heat once you get a thick mixture.
- Transfer the mix to a tray lined with baking sheet or greased tray. Allow to set for few hours in refrigerator.
- Garnish with chopped pistachios and cut in desired shape.
Click here to see more dessert recipes.
Also, click here to see more recipe videos.