Nariyal burfi or coconut fudge is one of the easiest sweets one can make at home. Minimal ingredients yet maximum taste. Making coconut burfi is simple. You can make this quick sweet anytime you want to have something sweet. It is kid friendly and easy treat for pregnant women. You can also make this for travel and for any party a day earlier.
This recipe is my mum's and I can finish a whole tray in a single sitting just pondering over newspaper. She always makes this for us and it has quite a fan-following in all our relatives. Something this yummy can never ever go wrong!
Tip: It is also a great way to use the fruit you receive during pooja or havan. This can also be consumed during Navratri/Navratre vrat which we keep during October / November. Serve this burfi as one of the Diwali sweets when we prepare a whole tray full, especially when you are short pressed on time.
I have been blessed to have a huge garden growing up. Living in a township with greenery around you has been such a fortune. You only realize it when you move out of town and venture out to big cities. Coconuts in South India are plenty. They line along the coast even if you do not have a garden. Thus, the use of coconuts too. You can drink the coconut water and see best things happen for your skin. Nothing hydrates as much as the water. Eat the pulp and enjoy the fruit even as an ice-cream. Add it to curries, rice and sweets for that crunchy texture.
What are the benefits of coconut?
Use the oil for cooking, skin and hair care. It is full of vitamin E. Drink the fresh water for hydration. Eat the cream as it is or use it to make yummy ice cream and coconut milk. Make a chutney and eat it with uttapam/idli/ pesarattu/dosa/upma/ seviyan upma.
Use the leaves for thatching. Make brooms out of sticks and scrubbers, ropes out of husks. One tree but a gift of heaven I say! My heart says its about time we go back to using coir scrubbers than a plastic based scrubber.
- Fresh grated (or desiccated coconut)
- Full-cream milk
- Cardamom powder /elaichi
- In a pan, add the grated coconut, cardamom and milk and let it cook.
- 3. Add sugar, stirring continuously.
5. Transfer the mix to a tray lined with baking sheet or greased tray. Mixture starts to set for few hours in refrigerator.
Vegan: You can also make a vegan coconut chikki or laddoo using jaggery and it tastes super awesome. If you like a creamier version, use coconut milk instead of full fat milk.
Vegetarian options: If you have less time on hand, you can make condensed milk barfi, or make thengai burfi with khoya. This speeds up the cook time.
Store it in a refrigerator for 5-10 days.(I must tell you it is so tasty you cannot help eating the whole batch in 1-2 days max)
What is your favourite recipe for barfi?
I got so many here.
Coconut burfi recipe
- 200 grams grated coconut
- 3 cup full-cream milk
- 2 teaspoon cardamom
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped pistachios optional
- In a pan,add the grated coconut,cardamom and milk and let it cook.
- Keep on scraping the mix from the bottom and sides. Cook until the milk evaporates.
- Add sugar and continue stirring.
- Turn off the heat once you get a thick mixture.
- Transfer the mix to a tray lined with baking sheet or greased tray. Allow to set for few hours in refrigerator.
- Garnish with chopped pistachios and cut in desired shape.
Mixture is undercooked.