Curries in India are of two varieties. One gravy based,or ras wali , usually eaten with rice. The other dry sabji, which can be eaten with roti/paratha/any flatbread. This curry is an easy dry sabji. Pair it with some flatbread and you get an easy Iron-rich menu. Traditionally, South Indian curry, beetroot vepudu/beetroot poriyal/beetroot masala is an easy curry. Mullangi poriyal or radish fry is also made in a similar fashion. It has a standard lentil tempering along with curry leaves. We have mixed both these stir fry curries together. Give beetroot radish curry a try, you will love it. It is steamed hence has very little oil.
This curry cooks fast and tastes fabulous. Both beets and radishes have a similar nutrient profile. They can be steamed together too as they cook in a similar fashion. You can eat this curry with rice and chapathi or grate it before u cook & stuff it to make a paratha. Some people love to eat beets raw.
For those who do not like it as a salad, steamed or curry is a perfect solution. It has a beautiful hue of pink which makes it very appealing visually. The nutrient profile is also great. While this curry is without coconut, Sri Lankan beetroot curry which has an addition of coconut milk. Thus, making it more nutty.
- Beets are a great source of Iron, folates and fiber.
- Helps lower blood pressure.
- Improves stamina.
- Good source of potassium.
- Slows progress of dementia.
Nutrients of Radish
- Great for Vitamin E,A,K,B6 C and B2.
- Improves immunity.
- Has high anti-oxidants.
- Great for skin and keeps body hydrated.
Step-by-step instructions of beetroot radish curry
Read beetroot radish curry recipe:
Beetroot raddish curry
- 250 gm beetroot peeled
- 250 gm radish peeled
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp. urad dal soaked in water
- few sprigs of curry leaves
- 2-3 green chillies sliced lengthways
- small piece of ginger finely chopped
- Salt as per taste
- Steam the beetroot and radish for 15 minutes or until soft.
- Cut the veggies into cubes.
- Heat oil in a pan,add the mustard seeds,let it crackle.
- Add the ginger,green chillies, and curry leaves with urad dal.
- Let it cook for few minutes and add the boiled veggies.
- Add the salt,cover and cook for 10 minutes on low flame.
- Serve with rice/roti
Click here to see more curries & gravies.
Also,click here to see more recipe videos.