Vegan Chana masala or Chana masala is a very wholesome and a filling curry.Indian chickpea recipes are usually as a curry or an appetizer.You can pair it with any flat bread be it 'Poori','Naan','Bhatura' and also 'Jeera rice'.
You can make this Indian chickpeas masala in many ways.
Easy chana masala saves the day when there are guests coming home.
Make it with or without tamarind.
Make it with/without tea mix.You can add some tea to it to make a kali gravy.
It tastes great as well with just tomato paste
Some people use branded chole masala for the curry but this is very easy to make at home.
Channa or chana is easy to make.Full of protein too.Most people love it.It tastes great even the day after.You can even eat it with bread, sliced onions and lime.You know how popular this dish is by its presence at both street food stalls and even classy restaurants.If there is one dish, at any birthday party, it is definitely Chole served with bhature/poori.You can even serve it with rice on a weekday.
Chickpeas are so wonderful and versatile.They are a great source of protein.
How to make chana?
How to cook vegan chana masala?
- 200 grams chickpeas 400 grams when soaked
- 400 grams onions diced
- 3-4 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp green chilli chopped
- ½ cup tea mixture water boiled with tea
- 1 tsp red chilly powder
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds or dhaniya
- 1 tbsp dried mango powder or amchur
- Salt as per taste
- 1.5 cup water
- ½ cup tomato puree/chopped tomatoes
Spice Mix(Roasted and ground) or ½ tbsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp. cumin seeds or jeera
- 1 bay leaf or tej patta
- 1 Small cardamom green or elaichi
- 1 Black cardamom or badi elaichi
- 2 pepper corns or kali mirch
- 1 small stick Cinnamon or dalchini
- 1-2 cloves or laung
- Soak chickpeas overnight or at least for 2 hours in hot water. They swell and double in the size post soaking.
- In a pressure cooker,heat oil.Saute onions,green chillies and ginger paste for 2-3 minutes.
- Once onions turn pink,add the soaked chickpeas and salt.
- Pressure cook it with tea mixture on a low flame.Pressure cook for 1-2 whistles.
- Add the red chilly powder,dried mango powder.
- Roast and grind all the whole spices.
- Mix this with cooked chickpeas with a spatula.Let it cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add tomato puree and mix well.
- Add 1.5 cup water and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles.
- Serve hot with sliced onions,lime with any flatbread or rice.
Press a chickpea and check if it is cooked well.In case you still feel it is a bit tough,pressure cook for 2-3 whistles more.
For more Punjabi recipes click Punjabi
Finally, to watch more recipe videos click here