Balushahi or badusha is a yummy sweet. This badusha recipe is fairly simple. It actually resembles glazed donuts of the west. This syrupy sweet needs no introduction. North India calls it Balushahi, balsahi while south calls it Badushah. Originally balu shahi is made with maida/plain flour. We have replaced it with atta/wholemeal flour to make it a less guilty pleasure.
Mum is the word!
Traditionally we make it with plain flour. However, it is not very good for the tummy of tiny little ones. This is my mom's recipe and much loved by my sister. She uses whole meal flour instead of normal plain flour. My mom is famous for her Balushahi .She has been hosting parties for years. I can say she has endless capacity to cook for people. Sometimes I wonder how.. Well I know part of it is due to love and part of it.. Art of Living and Yoga. This time she is here during Holi and so there were no dearth of sweets and snacks in the house.
Now that restrictions have set it in, due to the pandemic outside, all you can do is wait. Unfortunately, all plans of taking them around are now out of the window. Hence, why not use it creatively. There is nothing better than cooking together as a family. You get to know so many tricks from her experience. Great fun and you re-visit so many memories too. A good introduction to some new but old traditional sweets to my toddler.
Preparation of badusha sweet does not need many ingredients. Just ghee, flour, yogurt and sugar.
how to make balushahi at home?
Read the recipe for badusha or balushahi below
- 2 cup wholemeal flour
- ⅓ cup ghee
- ⅓ cup yogurt
For frying: Use oil or ghee as per your taste
- Optional: Edible silver varq
For sugar syrup:
- ½ cup water with saffron
- ¼ tsp ghee
- 1 cup sugar
For the dough:
- In a bowl, add the flour and ghee together and start mixing by hand until you get a crumbly texture.
- Add yogurt to knead a medium soft dough(not too hard/soft).Sprinkle little water if needed.
- Cover and rest it for 4-6 hours or overnight.
- Take some dough and make a smooth ball.
- Press with your thumb in the center,to make like a peda, as shown in the image.
- Heat oil and fry on a low heat until brown on both sides.Keep it aside and let it cool until it reaches room temperature.
- In a pan,heat water and mix sugar to it along with saffron.
- Let it cook until sugar dissolves.
- Pour the sugar water on the fried balushahi. Let it set.It looks like a glazed donuts once done.
Serving suggestion: Optionally apply the sheets of edible silver varq on the sweet balushahi.It needs to be placed delicately as it sticks very fast.
- Store it in an air-tight jar. Serve on room temperature.
- Serve on room temperature.
Click here to see more sweet recipes.
Also,click here to see more recipe videos.