Holi is one of the biggest Hindu festivals.It brings with it, the arrival of spring and colors in the world.We play with dry and wet colors.Traditionally, colors are made from dried flowers, turmeric etc.Red color stands for love and fertility.Green for new beginnings.It is also a time to enjoy Holi sweets and snacks along with your loved ones.Enjoy the festival with the colors of food and frolic! Also, read below to see our top Holi recipes.
Holi ki mithai & namkeen helps you recharge and play with colors all day long.
Why do we celebrate Holi?
It is celebrated in honor of Shri Vishnu and his devotee Prahlada.Hiranyakashyapu was a king who wanted to be immortal.He wanted everyone to worship him.However,his son Prahlada did not adhere to his wishes and continued to pray to Shri Vishnu.He asked his sister to sit in a bonfire with Prahalada in her lap in order to test his faith.Holika had a boon that fire couldn't touch her if she wore her magical shawl.When the fire was lit,due to Shri Vishnu's blessing,shawl fell on Prahlad and saved him instead of Holika.Even today,Holika fire is lit on the eve of Holi in remembrance.
- Malpua : Easy eggless pancakes which just melt into the mouth. A must have at all Holi parties. This is the quintessential traditional Holi ki mithai.Click here to see the recipe.
2. Thandai: The traditional nut and spice mix for cool milkshake which is a must have.A Gluten-free delight.Consumed with or without bhaang.Takes me back to the gullies of Benaras.Click here to see the thandai recipe.
After all,Who can forget Rang Barse !
3. Moong dal kachori and Aloo sabji : Heavy brunch post the fun is definitely on the cards.Great food makes a great party after all.Click here to see the recipe
4. Baked Namak paare: Tiny tidbits of crunch and flavor.Original biscotti desi style.Nut free and vegan.Click here to see the recipe.
5. Vegan Gujiya: Why should vegans be left out when you party? After all Holi is a festival of colors and happiness.We give it a healthy twist by baking them before frying in hot oil.Helps you cook them quickly and with less oil.Holi Gujiya is full of flavor and flaky pastry.
6. Gluten-free Kala Jamun: Who is not mesmerized by these small syrup laden Kale Gulab Jamuns.Click here to see the recipe.
7. Quick Paan Ice cream: Betel leaf ice cream to finally digest all the heavy snacks and sweets. Gluten-free delight.Click here to see the recipe.
Click here to see more recipe videos.