Mawa Gujiya is a simple recipe.You can make it very fast.It is a sweet synonymous with Holi and Diwali.It is also called as karanji in western and Kajjakayalu down south.You can call it the desi croissant.Usually, people use a mould to get a perfect shape.However, this recipe is for making a wholewheat mawa gujiya without any mould just like in the olden days.
How do we make mawa gujiya?
Traditionally, it is a plain flour pastry with a stuffing of nuts and instant mawa. Some people also add it to sugar syrup after frying.This way you can reuse the left-over syrup of gulab jamun. However, with the changing times even this recipe has evolved.We have made the vegan gujiya in the past.However,that recipe still has some maida in it.Below is a recipe which is made of pure wholewheat /atta. Yes, it still as yummy and crunchy.I also use the homemade mawa instead of buying khoya from the market.
Mum's quest of perfection
I love this recipe so much because it takes me back to my childhood.We didn't eat fast food back then.Firstly, mum believed homemade is best.Secondly,it was not so easily available.My mum made a lot of snacks and sweets at home in spite of being a working mum.Thus,on festivals sis and I were both helping and learning side by side.Little did we know,how beneficial that would be? Now, as mums ourselves,that experience comes handy.However,it is an easy recipe even if you didn't cook anything earlier.
How to make wholewheat mawa gujiya?
- Heat ghee in a pan,add mawa.
- Once it is soft,add semolina and poppy seeds.
3. Add coconut powder/flour ,turn off the heat.
4. Add powdered sugar,nuts and mix,keep this aside.
5. Mix flour,ghee,semolina and salt.Knead it into a semi soft dough.Roll into round shape like a flatbread.
6. Add the stuffing in half of the rolled dough.Now,join both halves to make a semi-circle.
7. Press from all sides.o not leave any open gaps.
8. Start binding the edges using finger tips.Place the index finger of right hand.Now,roll the immediate part of covering to bind it.
9. Fry in oil on low heat, 2-3 at a time.
10. Keep them on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Store in an air-tight container.
Read the wholewheat mawa gujiya recipe below:
- kadai/frying pan
- ½ cup mawa you may use instant mawa
- 1 tsp ghee
- ½ tbsp khuskhus or poppy seeds
- ½ tbsp sooji or semolina
- ½ tbsp. desiccated coconut/coconut flour
- 3 tbsp. Chopped nuts almond,walnuts and raisins 1 tbsp.each
- 3 tbsp. sugar powdered
- 1 cup atta or whole meal four
- 1 tbsp. sooji or semolina
- Pinch salt
- 1 tbsp ghee/oil
- ½ cup water for kneading
- Oil for frying
- Heat ghee in a pan,add mawa
- Once it is soft,add sooji(semolina) and khuskhus(poppy seeds)
- Add coconut powder/flour ,turn off the heat
- Add powdered sugar,nuts and mix,keep this aside
- Mix flour,ghee,sooji and salt, knead into a semi soft dough,roll a piece of dough into round shape
- Add the stuffing in half of the rolled dough,close in semicircle
- Press from all sides,do not leave any open gaps
- Start binding the edges
- Fry in oil on low heat, 2-3 at a time until golden brown
- Keep them on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil
Also, click here for more recipe videos.