Raw bananas or plantain is an ingredient you will love once you try it. Be it banana chips or banana cutlets, it will not disappoint the snacking junkie. Banana chips or kela chips are an easy snack. Vegan, gluten-free and kid friendly, Kela chips recipe can be made salty or sweetish as Aussies do. Great during travel and as a party starter too. There are many wafer center in Mumbai which make them fresh day in day out. I loved buying them back home. Most of them run by Malayalis. There is a local Kerala chips center in each suburb. You will find potatoes, tapioca, plantains and fryums. You will find banana chips recipe Kerala style everywhere, either packed or made fresh. All in different variants of spices. With red chilly powder or black pepper. With our without spices. As spicy as possible and as bland as you need too. They are great to eat during long bus or train journeys when your mind is just idle. Call it junk but sometimes it is the best pick me up.
Now that I do not have an easy access to those banana wafers, I simply make mine at home. If you do not like them fried, make baked banana wafers. If drying is not possible, dehydrating banana chips are an option. This happens if you don't have enough sunlight especially in winters. This is an all-weather recipe.
Chips during Navratri fasting
You can also make Kerala banana chips recipe for Navratre/Shravan fast. All you need is some rock salt or sendha namak. You may make different varieties. Add amchur/dried mango powder to some while mint to others. If you like them hot, add kali mirch/black pepper to it. Spices like red chilli powder, normal sea salt, garlic are not eaten during vrat or fasting. But you can add them on other days. You can cut banana pieces in shapes you like. Long flakes or circular. This crunchy banana chips recipe is so quick to make. Nothing better than crunchy banana chips to make your day!
Easy and breezy!
How to make banana chips?
- Peel the raw bananas, if required with a knife.
2. Slice them and keep in salty water for few minutes.
3. Spread them over a paper towel for few minutes.
4. Fry them in hot oil, season with black pepper.
- 4-6 raw bananas
- 1 tablespoon rock salt/salt
- 2 cups water
- Oil for frying
- 1 tablespoon crushed black pepper
- Salt as per taste
- Peel and slice the raw bananas
- Soak the slices in water with 1 tablespoon salt
- Dry the slices on paper tissue for few minutes(10-15 minutes).
- Fry them in medium hot oil until crisp.
- Toss the slices with black pepper and salt(optional).
- Store in an airtight container.