Dry fruit chiwda or a mixture is an easy tea time recipe. You can make various variations of this mixture with or without cornflakes, only thin poha/rice flakes, murmura/puffed rice, adding any dry fruits or peanuts. Cornflakes chiwda is a perfect snack for those on the diet. It is a vegan and gluten-free snack(avoid cornflakes).This mixture is crispy, perfect mix of sweet and sour, absolutely yummy. Perfect with a great cup of ginger tea.
You can make it fast and store it in airtight containers over the weekend. You can also carry it with you in zip locks while going for a picnic or a train journey. Also, you can control oil in your snacks when making at home. Health wise you can always control the quality and quantity when you make it at home. This corn flakes chivda mixture is a hit with western India especially in Gujarati and Marathi community.
The cornflakes mixture recipe has been made with thin corn flakes and nuts. These are cooked in salt without any oil. Also, we have used raw corn flakes in this recipe, this is not the store bought corn flakes that is eaten in breakfast with milk. Therefore, the corn flakes chivda calories are also less due to minimum use of oil.
How to make cornflakes mixture?
Read the Cornflakes chiwda recipe below
Cornflakes chiwda-tangy mix
- 2 cup cornflakes
- 1 cup thin poha or rice flakes
- 1 cup dryfruits almonds,cashews,raisins
- ½ cup dry coconut sliced
- 2 tsp sugar optional
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp saunf or fennel optional
- 1 tsp haldi/turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp amchur/dried mango powder
- 2 tsp red chilli powder/cayenne pepper powder
- 2-3 sprigs of curry leaves
- 2-3 green chillies chopped
- Salt as per taste
- 1 kilo salt to dry roast the chivda
- In a heavy bottom iron pan, start heating the salt at low flame.
- Once the salt is hot, add the 1 cup corn flakes and slowly mix with a fork.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes or until the corn flakes have cooked.
- Fish out the corn flakes from the salt using a frying strainer and keep it aside.
- Similarly cook the nuts and coconut slices.Move the salt out of the pan once cooled
- Add oil to a pan,once hot, add curry leaves,garlic and chillies
- Add the raisins and flattened rice/poha.Cook for few minutes
- Add all the salt,turmeric,red chilli powder, keep this aside.
- Mix all cooked ingredients together with remaining spices.
- Mix well with a spatula.
- Store in an airtight container.