Cornflakes chivda is a crispy crunchy trail mix. It is perfect match for ginger tea or just black tea. This corn chivda mixture is quite a hit with western India, especially in Gujarati and Marathi community.
Only drawback being it is fried when it is made commercially. Nowadays IPL ,AFL are on and you want to munch on something while watching sports. We either reach out to chips or burgers when you want to eat some fast food. However, that sets us back on our weight loss goals.
How to make cornflakes chiwda at home?
Many ladies make their own deep fried corn flakes namkeen recipe at home customized to their families taste.We use thin makai poha for it. It is an easy recipe to make and you can make it as spicy or as plain as you want. It is a vegan snack but you can make a gluten free version with just thin poha /rice flakes. Alternative to that is making it without frying.
How to make corn flakes chivda without frying?
Make the low oil makai chivda recipe and munch to your liking. If you have an air fryer, use the air fryer version below. Otherwise you can also use coarse salt to roast the cornflakes and rice flakes in a cast iron pan. This way you still get the crunch but not the calories .
This cornflakes namkeen recipe is crispy, has its crunch and is a perfect mix of sweet and sour, absolutely yummy. I like making snacks at home because you can control oil in your snacks. Health wise you can always control the quality and quantity when you make it at home. Just store it in airtight containers over the weekend. You can also carry it with you in zip locks while going for a picnic or a train journey. No time wasted in searching for eateries if you are out in the woods.
- Cast iron pan
- or Air fryer
- Thin cornflakes / Makai poha ( These are raw cornflakes for frying, not the cereal used in breakfast)
- Rice flakes / Thin poha
- Nuts (almonds, cashews) & raisins
- dry sliced coconut
- sugar, optional
- Spice mix
- sprigs of curry leaves
- green chilli, chopped or Dru red chilli
- chutney dal
- mustard seeds
- haldi / turmeric powder
- amchur/ dried mango powder
- red chili powder /cayenne pepper powder
- salt as per taste
How to make cornflakes mixture in air fryer?
- Preheat air fryer for 10 mins at 190 degree C ( very important ). In a bowl spray oil on cornflakes and toss them.
2. Now, place cornflakes in the basket and air fry 3 Mins at 190C.(the air fryer has to be preheated for 10 minutes in advance)
3. Keep it aside in a tray on a paper napkin.
4. Now place the peanuts in air fryer basket. Air fry at 190 deg C for 5 mins
5. Add 1 tablespoon oil to a pan, add thin rice flakes/poha along with turmeric powder.
6. Cook on low flame for 7-10 minutes.
7. In a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds with chutney dal, red chillies & curry leaves.
8. Add coconut slices, raisins and nuts as per your choice.
9. Take all the items in a bowl, add the tempering to mixture.
10. Add salt,sugar, amchur & red chilli powder as per your taste.Mix all ingredients.
. 11. Store in an air tight container. Read the recipe here
if you are looking for indian air fryer recipes, refer to the recipes here
Read some of the other related recipes here
Read the recipe for cornflakes chivda without frying
Cornflakes chivda recipe
- frying pan
- 2 cup raw cornflakes makai poha (These are raw cornflakes for frying, not the cereal used in breakfast)
- 2 cup thin poha or rice flakes
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup peanuts
- handful almonds/cashews optional
- ½ cup dry coconut sliced
- 2 teaspoon sugar optional
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 tbsp. mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp. chutney dal
- 2-3 sprigs of curry leaves
- 2-3 green chillies/dried red chillies chopped
- 1 teaspoon haldi/turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon amchur/dried mango powder
- 2 teaspoon red chilli powder/cayenne pepper powder optional or as per taste
- 1 tablespoon saunf or fennel optional
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt as per taste
for roasting in salt (traditional style)
- 1 kilo salt to dry roast the chivda
Using Air fryer
- Toss the cornflakes in oil or use oil spray
- Place cornflakes in the basket and air fry 3 Mins at 190C.(the air fryer has to be preheated for 10 minutes in advance).Keep it aside in a tray on a paper napkin.
- Place the peanuts in air fryer basket. Air fry at 190 deg C for 5 mins.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to a pan, add thin rice flakes/poha along with turmeric powder.Cook on low flame for 7-10 minutes.
- In a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds with chutney dal, red chillies & curry leaves.
- Add coconut slices, raisins and nuts as per your choice.
- Take all the items in a bowl, add the tempering to mixture.
- Add salt,sugar, amchur & red chilli powder as per your taste.Mix all ingredients.
Using salt with iron skillet
- In a heavy bottom iron pan, start heating the salt at low flame.
- Once the salt is hot, add the 1 cup corn flakes and slowly mix with a fork.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes or until the corn flakes have cooked.
- Fish out the corn flakes from the salt using a frying strainer and keep it aside.
- Similarly cook the nuts and coconut slices.Move the salt out of the pan once cooled
- Add oil to a pan,once hot, add curry leaves,garlic and chillies
- Add the raisins and flattened rice/poha.Cook for few minutes
- Add all the salt,turmeric,red chilli powder, keep this aside.
- Mix all cooked ingredients together with remaining spices.
- Mix well with a spatula.
- Store in an airtight container.
How to make cornflakes mixture by roasting in salt?
The cornflakes mixture recipe has been made with thin corn flakes and nuts. These are cooked in salt without any oil. Also, we have used raw corn flakes in this recipe, this is not the store bought corn flakes that is eaten in breakfast with milk. Therefore, the corn flakes chivda calories are also less due to minimum use of oil. Use the steps below to make it in a cast iron pan.
- Take coarse cooking salt
- Heat coarse salt on a low flame in an iron skillet. Add cornflakes.
- Remove the cornflakes after few minutes when they are crunchy using a spatula.
- Add nuts and coconut slices to the salt. Roast them and keep it aside.
5. Keep roasted cornflakes in a mixing bowl. 6. Heat oil in a pan and sauté curry leaves, garlic and green chillies. 7. Roast the thin poha in this pan. 8. Add poha mixture to cornflakes in the mixing bowl and mix it with spices using a spoon. 9.Store in an air tight container.
You can make various variations of this Cornflakes chiwda recipe.Make it with or without cornflakes, only roasted thin poha/rice flakes, murmura/puffed rice, adding any dry fruits or peanuts. Some people also add powdered sugar to it. If you like it more tangy, add some chaat masala in the end.The ratio of nuts and cereal can be customized according to your taste.
This maize poha chiwda can be stored in an air tight container for 10 -15 days. However, I can guarantee you will eat it much before that.
Baked farali chivda is a great tea-time recipe. Although it is a falhari vrat special chivda, you will love having it, even on other days. Click here to read more such appetizer recipes. Click here to see more recipe videos from our Youtube channel Secondrecipe.