Pohay is a healthy breakfast. Vegan and gluten-free poha is light and tasty too. You can see many versions like Kanda pohe,Batata poha and Indori poha/Ujjaini pohey. It is called as atkulu or aval upma. These days oats powa is also common where we replace rice flakes with oats. There are two varieties of flattened rice- thick or medium and thin. While thin is used in chiwda or roasted teatime snack, thick is used in breakfast.
In which state POHA is famous?
It is staple across the states of Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh. It was ruled by Holkar dynasty hence has similar cuisine.
Ujjaini or Indori version is steamed and served with onions while the Mumbai/Pune one with lot of onions,potatoes and peanuts. You can also add some veggies after washing these rice flakes in a strainer. Pair it with Jalebi for the best breakfast ever!
Benefits of breakfast Poha recipe
It is a healthy vegan gluten-free kid friendly breakfast. Can be included in KETO diet. Great even for people with hypothyroidism. Cooks in a jiffy hence works great for a quick breakfast. Bachelors can cook it too.It is simple and much healthier than eating junk outside.
Significance of Kande Pohe
The significance of this dish can be seen in Maharashtra. Authentic poha recipe actually marks a beginning of a relationship. It is served as snack when the families of the to be bride and groom meet to confirm wedding relations.
You may also remember the famous Marathi movie Sanai Choughade. Well, we do not have to wait to get married to enjoy this humble dish. Most college, office canteens as well as hostel mess serve it at least once a week, either as breakfast or snack. You can also gulp it down with tea or coffee. Even have it with yogurt if not eating it vegan.
Here is a recipe where we have added a lot of veggies to the basic recipe.
Have a look at the video and enjoy eating it with a tall glass of masala chai.
How to make poha?
- 1 cup Poha or thick rice flakes washed in a colander
- 2 small onions diced
- 1 potato diced
- 1 medium tomato diced
- ¼ cup green peas optional
- ¼ cup pomegranate optional
- ¼ cup roasted or fried groundnuts optional
- 2 tbsp oil
- Few curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds or rai
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1-½ tsp red chilly powder
- Salt as per your taste
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wok.
- Add curry leaves,mustard seeds.
- Now,add potatoes and salt.Let it cook till they become soft.
- Saute onions and toast them till they become slightly pinkish.
- Add tomato and cook till they are soft.
- Add rice flakes,turmeric and red chilly powder.
- Now,add peas and pomegranate and some drops of water.
- Cover with lid,so that it becomes bit moist.Mix well.
- Let it cook for 5-7 mins.
- Serve hot with dash of lemon,sev and coriander for garnish.
You may also add green chopped chilli and spoonful of sugar optionally.
If you want a more healthier option, you may add grated carrots with potatoes.
Looking for easy breakfast recipes?