Poha is a healthy breakfast which is staple across the states of Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh.
It was ruled by Holkar dynasty hence has similar cuisine.Generally Indori version is steamed while the Mumbai/Pune one with lot of onions,potatoes and peanuts.You can also add some veggies after washing these rice flakes in a strainer.You can see many versions like Kanda poha,Batata poha and Indori poha.These days oats poha is also common where we replace rice flakes with oats.
Benefits of Poha
It is a healthy vegan gluten-free kid friendly breakfast.Cooks in a jiffy hence works great for a quick breakfast.Bachelors can cook it too.It is simple and much healthier than eating junk outside.
Significance of Kande Pohe
The significance of Poha can be seen in Maharashtra.It is served as snack when the families of the to be bride and groom meet to confirm wedding relations.You may also remember the famous Marathi Sanai Choughade. Well, we do not have to wait to get married to enjoy this humble dish.
Most college, office canteens as well as hostel mess serve it at least once a week,either as breakfast or snack.
You can also gulp it down with tea or coffee and even have it with yogurt if not eating it vegan.
Here is a recipe of Shahi Pohe, where we have added a lot of veggies to the basic recipe.
Have a look at the video and enjoy eating it with a tall glass of masala chai.
Click on the link below to watch the video of Shahi Poha
Scroll below to read the recipe of Poha
- 2 tbsp oil
- Few curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds or rai
- 2 small onions diced
- 1 cup Poha or thick rice flakes washed in a colander
- 1/4 cup green peas (optional)
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 1/4 cup pomegranate (optional)
- 1 potato diced
- 1/4 cup roasted or fried groundnuts (optional)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1-1/2 tsp red chilly powder
- Salt as per your taste
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wok
- Add curry leaves,mustard seeds.
- Now,add potatoes and salt.
- Let it cook till they become soft.
- Saute onions and toast them till they become slightly pinkish.
- Add tomato and cook till they are soft.
- Add rice flakes,turmeric and red chilly powder.
- Now,add peas and pomegranate and some drops of water.
- Cover with lid,so that it becomes bit moist.
- Mix well.
- Let it cook for 5-7 mins.
- Serve hot with dash of lemon,sev and coriander for garnish.
- Lemon,peas,groundnuts,sev,mixture-You may add or leave out some of these ingredients as per your taste.
- You may also add green chopped chilli and spoonful of sugar optionally.
- If you want a more healthier option, you may add grated carrots with potatoes.
Finally,click here to watch more recipe videos.