Ganesh Chaturthi is a round the corner.We pay our respects to Lord Ganesha,the remover of all obstacles.It is a time to thank Bappa for all his blessings.I feel blessed having visited Siddhivinayak temple, Lalbaug cha Raja and Dagdu sheth Ganpati during this 10 day long festival several times.I have always been in awe of the sculptors.As we miss the festival back home,we decided to bring Bappa home.This is a DIY: How to make eco-friendly Ganapati Idol at home in our small capacity.
Need for Eco-friendly ways
We always wanted Eco friendly Ganesha idol whenever we decided to do the sthapna.Our Ganesh murti should not harm the environment. After all,God is kind enough to give us this beautiful world and its high time we take care of it.
How to make Ganapati using raw vegetables?
Here we have used toothpicks to hold together the idol.We wanted to do it differently this time.Hence, we used veggies which are locally found and easily available in the kitchen.Eco-friendly Ganesha post visarjan transforms into a herb garden.
Steps to make the Raw vegetable Ganapathi idol
- Join baby potato and beetroot to make the belly and head.
- Green chilli make the legs which can be joined to the beetroot.
- Use the turmeric/kachchi haldi to make the hands.
- For the face,join a curvy green chilli to make the trunk.
- Small leaves of brussel sprouts can make your idol's ears.
- If you do not get brussel sprouts,sambar onions/madras onions or baby spinach leaves can be used.
- Some people who refrain from using onions can use strawberry for crown.
- Press pepper to make the eyes and use the onion pieces to make Bappa's crown.
- You can use actual laddu or use tomato for it.
- Once the idol is ready,brush it with little oil.
Ganpati with playdough
You can also use this dough to make different structures like playdough.This can be a play activity for toddlers.However,ensure parent supervision always with play dough.
Below is a recipe of dough for our eco-friendly Ganesha.
All ingredients are commonly available at home.We have used edible food colors and cake rainbow sprinkles along with little thread.Last year we made the idol using cream of tartar.Click here to see how to do it.However,it may not be in pantry of all readers.Hence,we are making this idol using vinegar and flour this time.
DIY: How to make eco-friendly Ganapati Idol
Click here to see top 10 recipes for Ganesh Chaturthi.
Also.click here to see more recipe video