Ganesh chaturthi is here and it is a time to thank God for everything. It is also the time for Modak and laddoo. It also reminds us of our stay in Mumbai.We fondly remember standing in the queues of Lalbaug cha Raja and various pandals to thank God for what we have today. These festivals bring up the spirit of Mumbai.As we miss the festival back home,we decided to bring Bappa home. We always wanted to make an Eco friendly Ganpati whenever we decided to do the sthapna.
How to make Ganesh murti?
Ganapati idol is made with plaster of paris as they are more stable and can be made big in size.
However,these idols are non-biodegradable.They float in water for a long time when immersed on the last day of the festival.
Our idol should be eco-friendly and ensure it does no harm to environment. After all,God is kind enough to give us this beautiful world and its high time we take care of it.Homemade dough for Ganpati Idol is easy to make.You can also use this dough to make different structures as a play activity for toddlers.(Ensure parent supervision always with play dough).
Here is a recipe of dough for our eco-friendly Ganesha.You can follow any youtube tutorial to make the idol.
All ingredients are commonly available at home.We have used edible food colors and cake rainbow sprinkles along with little thread.
Step wise pictures
How do you make Ganesh with dough?
Homemade dough for Ganpati Idol
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 tbsp Cream of Tartar if you don't have it you may use 6 tbsp apple cider vinegar & reduce water to ½ cup
- ½ cup salt
- Orange yellow+redFood colouring
- Small thread for making the idol crown.
- Mix all the ingredients in a saucepan(including the food colors)
- Stir over low heat for 7-8 minutes, until the mixture binds together.
- Allow the mix to cool, knead before use.
- Shape the idol by using small parts of the dough and placing it together.You can use any Youtube tutorial to see the method to make the basic idol.
- Take some thread and apply it in circular fashion to make the crown.
- Use some thread to show the Janeu(It should be placed over left shoulder.)
- Place the edible cake rainbow pearls on the idol to symbolize eyes and on hand to symbolize the laddoos.
- Decorate the aarti thaal with flowers, fruits & sweets.
Using edible food colors ensures it is safe to use for toddlers(3+).
However,ensure adult supervision when child is playing with dough to avoid any choking.
Click here to see more recipe videos from our channel Secondrecipe.
Other Ganesh Chaturthi special recipes you can check out while you are here !
Chocolate Modak recipe: http://www.secondrecipe.com/chocolate-modak/
Ukadiche Modak: http://www.secondrecipe.com/ukadiche-modak/
Rava laddoo: http://www.secondrecipe.com/rava-ladoo/