Ganesh chaturthi is round the corner. So are the modaks, karanji and laddus. Ganesh chaturthi is a 10 day long festival. Hence, many different dishes are served. This 10 day long festival is celebrated across India. However, it is the most celebrated festival of Maharashtra. People love visiting pandals across the city and wait for hours in queues to see their favourite Bappa. Air fried modaks is our take on fried modaks.
Traditionally, this Maharashtrian dessert resembles a fried dumpling. It is made with whole wheat flour or atta. It has the same filling as ukadiche modak consisting of jaggery coconut and spices. Ukadiche modak is made with rice flour and is gluten free. Unlike fried wheat modaks, it is steamed. Apart from that you can also make mawa modaks in various fruit flavors like strawberry and chocolate.
How to make your own eco friendly Ganapati idol?
Over the years, we have tried to make our on idol in an eco friendly manner. We tried to make Ganpati idol, using raw vegetables, chocolate, using playdough (cream of tartar/vinegar). Here are our small experiments to help you make your own idol.
Click here to make homemade eco friendly colours for decoration and Rangoli.
What are modak recipes?
- Ukadiche modak
- Chocolate modak / Mawa modak
- Fried modak
- Strawberry modak
- Air fryer
- Frying pan
Modak filling (refer to recipe card below for quantity)
- jaggery/ palm sugar /gur
- Fresh shredded coconut
- poppy seeds/khuskhus /khuskhus
- nutmeg powder /jaiphal optional
- cardamom powder /elaichi optional
- oil/ghee if vegetarian
Air fried Modak covering/pastry (refer to recipe card below for quantity)
- plain flour /maida
- whole wheat flour /atta
- semolina /sooji
- pinch of salt
How to make fried modak?
For the filling
2. Add elaichi powder, jaiphal powder and khuskhus. Let it cook for a couple of minutes.
3. Add shredded coconut and mix well.
4. Keep it aside.
3. Cover it and keep it aside for 30 minutes.
5. Hold each in your palm and try to fold the pleats together. (Optionally, you can make it as a ball and serve as kudumu or make a potli out of it.)
7. Repeat this for all of the dough.
8. Air fry the modaks for 10 min at 190 deg C and for 10-12 mins at 170 deg C. Spray oil every 5 mins.
9. Initially, you may feel the texture is bit uneven or rough.Don't worry about it. However, as it cooks, the pastry will expand smoothen and taste extremely crispy.
Store in an air tight jar.
You can also make the above recipe until step 7 and fry them in a kadai as in the traditional method.
Store them in an air tight container once it cools down. It tastes crispy.
Click here to see YouTube tutorial to make Ganpati idol.
Air fried Modak recipe
- frying pan
- ¼ cup jaggery/ palm sugar /gur
- 1 cup fresh shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp. poppy seeds/khuskhus /khuskhus
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg powder /jaiphal optional
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder /elaichi optional
- 1 teaspoon oil /ghee if vegetarian
Air fried Modak covering/pastry
- ¾ cup plain flour /maida
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour /atta
- 1.5 tbsp. semolina /sooji
- 3 tbsp. oil
- ½ cup water (little more than)
- pinch of salt
For the filling
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil and add jaggery to it , in a frying pan till it starts to melt.
- Add the poppy seeds, nutmeg powder, cardamom powder and cook for few minutes.
- Add shredded coconut to jaggery and mix well. Cook for 5 minutes. Keep it aside to cool.
- In a bowl, add all the dry ingredients for the pastry along with oil.
- Slowly add water to knead a medium stiff dough.
- Cover it and keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- Divide it into small balls and roll them into small circles of equal size using a rolling pin.
- Add 1 tbsp. filling to each of these dough circles and hold it in your palm.
- Fold the edges of each modak, slowly between fingers and close their loop, by slowly rotating it( like you would do for any dumpling).
- Air fry the modaks for 10 min at 190 deg C and 10-12 mins at 170 C | 340 F. Spray oil every 5 mins.
Ganesh chaturthi is a 10 day long festival. Hence, we serve many different dishes as prasad. Puran Poli, Besan Laddoo, besan burfi, Modak, Sheera and Shrikhand poli are some of the important ones. Some people also make sattu laddu and sattu ki burfi.Apart from this, we have lemon rice, pulihora, curd rice which are also served as prasadam in South Indian pandals. The logic behind this, by the blessings of Sri Ganesh everyone should go back happy. No one should go back empty handed and hungry both physically and soulfully. Click here to see our top Ganesh chaturthi recipes.
Wonderful recipe, never thought that Modak can be air fried too! Tried it and everyone enjoyed at home ! A must try recipe.
bhavana bhatia says
Thank you so much Deepthi for your feedback. Happy Ganesh chaturthi!