Ganapati idol comes in all shapes and sizes. Ganesh chaturthi brings people together.
Ganesh chaturthi and city of Mumbai
There is an energy which engulfs the whole city of Mumbai.Each pandal is full of devotees.People do not have time in Mumbai but for Ganapati Visarjan even the local trains stop.
I loved visiting Ganesha workshops just before the festival.Master sculptors painstakingly make the idol.Painting it take days.It still dries even though rains hammer the makeshift pandals.I am always in awe of these craftsman.However we are layman.We can only make Bappa as per our capacity but with full devotion.
Nowadays we can make idol with various things.
Flour,mud,clay and chocolate.Chocolate ganapati idol is my favourite after attempting with flour.
Bappa is everywhere.His devotion brings people together.We have made his idol using food colors and flour.Last year we used cream of tartar.This year we attempted using vinegar and rice flour.We will immerse this idol in our home instead of sea.
However,we wanted to make a Chocolate idol.
Had heard about this in news few years back.Hats off to the inventor.
Chocolate is mostly available at home even if you do not have vinegar.It appeals all.Kids love chocolate and so do we.
It is also easy to do visarjan of Chocolate Ganapati idol.Simply pour hot water/milk on top in a huge bowl.
Read recipe- how to make chocolate Ganpati idol
Chocolate Ganpati Idol
- 250 gm cooking chocolate/regular chocolate
- 50 gm Marie/ or any flour biscuits powdered
- 1/4 cup cooking cream
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- edible cake sprinkles for decoration
- Optional ingredients to brush with liquid chocolate for a smooth finish:
- 25 gm chocolate
- 1 tbsp cream
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- Add the chocolate and cream to the double boiler.Keep stirring until it melts and there are no more chocolate pieces
- In a bowl,add melted chocolate , powdered biscuit and 1/2 tsp coconut oil to it. Mix well until it binds together.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 30-45 mins after covering with a cling film.
- Knead the mixture and shape it into an idol. You may use this link for shape in the image.
Optional For brushing:
- melt the chocolate in the double boiler after adding cream and coconut oil.
- Brush it with a silicon pastry brush to give it a smooth finish.
- Decorate with edible sprinkles.
Click here to see our Ganesh chaturthi recipes.
Also,click here to see how to make Ganapati idol using flour.